Jacqueline's Reviews > Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Nov 30, 14

bookshelves: author-sherrilyn-kenyon, series-dark-hunter, classified-five-stars
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; but the series was recommended by a kind Books-A-Million
Recommended for: Anyone who loves sarcastically dry humor, sexy characters, and kick ass fight scenes.
Read in August, 2007, read count: Four times now

While every single Dark-Hunter novel kicks serious ass in some way or another, I think that Devil May Cry proves on a another level just how talented Sherrilyn Kenyon is as a creative writer.

Each Dark-Hunter novel shares about the same characteristics- almost all include something related to the Daimons or Apollites. While the common perception might be that carrying over the same "bad guys" could make the books boring, such is not the case for each story is unique unto itself. However, that being said, I think Sherrilyn knew right off that it's never good to keep forming the same basic ideals behind a series. This is why I find Devil May Cry to be so vastly amazing.

Mrs. AG has used her creative powers and branched out into other realms of "bad guys." The characters and plot of Devil May Cry are fascinating and of the high trademark standard Mrs. Kenyon has set for each of her books.

Aside from learning a few very key series-related secrets, especially regarding Ash, I feel the character of Katra and Sin (Nana) are such strong and entertaining individuals that regardless of the plot, the book would've held its own anyway.

Once more, another "favorite" DH book to add to the collection.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil May Cry.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“She didn't understand that. "How can anyone be afraid of love?"
"How can they not?" His face was completely aghast. "When you love someone... truly love them, friend or lover, you lay your heart open to them. You give them a part of yourself that you give to no one else, and you let them inside a part of you that only they can hurt—you literally hand them the razor with a map of where to cut deepest and most painfully on your heart and soul. And when they do strike, it's crippling—like having your heart carved out. It leaves you naked and exposed, wondering what you did to make them want to hurt you so badly when all you did was love them. What is so wrong with you that no one can keep faith with you? That no one can love you? To have it happen once is bad enough... but to have it repeated? Who in their right mind would not be terrified of that?”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Any game plan? Xypher asked Sin.
Don't die.
I like it. Simple, bold. Impossible. Works for me.
Kat scoffed at his sarcasm. What are you bitching about, Xypher? You're already dead.
He laughed. You know, for once, it's good to be me.”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I’m sure he just wanted to touch a piece of home. Hell, whatever artifact he took probably belonged to him or some member of his family. I’m not going to kill anyone because he was homesick, Artie – kind of like killing someone when he’s on the can. It’s just wrong. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It’s a responsibility that I take most seriously, so excuse me for banning you from killing them because you have reverse PMS. (Acheron)
Reverse PMS? (Artemis)
Yeah, unlike a normal woman, you’re cranky twenty-eight days out of the month. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Aren’t you ever satisfied? I swear if I were mortal, I’d be limping from our last go-round. If not dead. We really need to find you a hobby other than jumping on top of me. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You’re the one who made the bargain with Apollymis that I have to live with. Personally, it irks the shit out of me to be traded like some Yu-Gi-Oh! card you got tired of having around the house. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“We are coming up on the Sumerian apokalypsi–. (Artemis)
I don’t think they use that word. (Kat)
Who cares what word they use? End of the world is end of the world regardless of whatever term you use for it! (Artemis)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“The point is, Sin is now going to try to overthrow me again and take my place. Do you know what that means? (Artemis)
There will be much rejoicing? (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Don’t you have something to do? (Sin)
If not for the fact it would result in your breaking every bone in my body and making me cry for Mommy, I’d be calling some cops. As it stands, I think my neck is best served by trying to talk sense into you. (Kish)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Then you’re going to stay in that net until eternity comes to pass. (Sin)
Well, that’s really intelligent, isn’t it? What are you going to do? Put drinks on me or just use me as a conversation piece whenever friends come over? And let’s not even think about what’s going to happen when I need to use the restroom, shall we? I hope you have a standing order at Sofa Express. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Give me my powers back, Artemis, or I’ll take your daughter’s life. (Sin)
Damn boy, you have an unholy gift for pissing off people. Why don’t you tell her that dress makes her look fat while you’re at it? (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yeah, you were doing a real bang-up job of it. I particularly liked the way you were bruising his fists with your face. A few minutes more and I’m sure your heart would have been on the attack...after it was ripped from your chest. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I was the Sumerian god of fertility. You know what that means, don’t you? (Sin)
You have a lot of penis envy over the other fertility gods? Don’t worry. I won’t tell the other gods about your small penis problem. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You have to stay here. (Kat)
Bullshit. (Sin)
No, no shit here. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I’m a goddess of destruction. Tell me honestly that you find nothing exciting about the idea of a billion people screaming out for mercy when there’s no one left who cares what befalls them. Of the entire earth being rained on by all manner of demons bent on ultimate torture and sacrifice. Them ripping and shredding human flesh as they claw in a drunken frenzy fueled by their hatred of everything. Drinking blood in an orgy of terror...ahhh, the beauty of annihilation. There’s nothing like it.(Apollymi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I follow after my father, who likes to protect mankind, and I really don’t want to see a bunch of demons eating people. Call me sentimental. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yeah his being Sumerian to this group would go over like an Ozzy Osbourne/Marilyn Manson duet at the Southern Baptist Convention’s annual meeting. He might as well be wearing a shit that said “Kibbles and Bits,” with a heavy emphasis on the “bits” part...”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Because I’ve lost my children, too, and I know the ache that lives inside the heart that no amount of solace or alcohol will squelch. I know what it’s like to have the powers of a god and to not be able to hold the one thing that means the most to me. And if you think for one minute that I would ever serve that to another being, even Artemis, who I’d like to torture for eternity, then go ahead and call down your army on me. I would deserve whatever death they give. (Sin)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“My son has few friends and even fewer who know him for what he is. So long as you protect him, you live. Sumerian or not. But if you prove false in anything you’ve said here today, I will bring a wrath down on you so sever that you will spend eternity trying to dig out your own brains to alleviate the pain of it. (Apollymi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Wow, that was fun. Any place else you want to take me while we’re here? Maybe there’s a darker corner of hell than that hall of flesh-hungry demons, huh? (Sin)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Keep your lips and other body parts to yourself or you’ll be headless. (Apollymi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Let’s just say I understand betrayal. And having been where he is, I know the explosion to come. Trust me. ‘Duck’ won’t quite cover it. (Sin)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“And I can’t let you out of here until I know what your plans are. (Kat)
To stop the annihilation of mankind and the earth. It’s a simple plan, really, but an important one. Can I go now? (Sin)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Let me out of here, Katra. Now. (Sin)
I can't. (Kat)
Then I hope you can live with the death of humanity on your conscience. I’ll just sit myself over here until it’s over. You got any good DVDs I can watch? It’ll help drown out the screams for mercy. Especially from the kids. Those are always the hardest to ignore. (Sin)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“And if you eat enough of those souls, they begin to corrupt you until you become one of them. Everyone knows that. (Kat)
Only if you’re stupid. I’m two hundred years old and I haven’t turned yet. You just have to learn to hum a lot so you don’t hear their bullshit echoing in your head. (Damien)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“There is more than one kind of death? (Kat)
Yes. Cowards aren’t the only ones who die a thousand deaths. Sometimes heroes do, too. (Sin)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Strength through adversity. The strongest steel is forged by the fires of hell. It is pounded and struck repeatedly before it’s plunged back into the molten fire. The fire gives it power and flexibility, and the blows give it strength. Those two things make the metal pliable and able to withstand every battle it’s called upon to fight. (Savitar)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“My father is the harbinger of death and destruction. My grandmother the Great Destroyer. My mother is the goddess of the hunt. I think I’ll be okay. (Kat)
Yeah, you do have the history of absolute terror and cruelty in your veins. (Sin)
Remember that if you ever come between me and my chocolate bar. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Well, that’s just a little hard, since I can’t even talk her into sparing your life, huh? You haven’t exactly endeared yourself to her. (Kat)
Oh, excuse my utter lack of manners there. Should we call Mommy dearest and invite her over for tea? I promise to be on my best manners when I choke the life out of her. (Sin)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Whoa, what is this? Battle of the Sarcastic and Pissed? Should I make popcorn? Forget American Idol, man. This is much more entertaining. (Kish)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Is there a point to your latest irritation, Kish? (Sin)
Had a sudden death wish. Felt the deep need to come up here and have you freeze me. (Kish)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Don’t touch me, Daimon. You’re not worthy. (Kessar)
Up yours, asshole. I don’t want the Sumerian slime pit stench on me anyway. Take your girlfriends and get the hell out of our casino. (Damien)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Simi? You got some free time? (Kat)
Of course I do. You know akri on Olympus with that heifer-goddess I want to eat, but he won’t let the Simi have no dinner. So why you calling me, little akra-kitty? (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“The ones here know I own this place and they give it space. After all, unlike the Dark-Hunters, I’m not banned from hitting or killing them, and they know it. (Sin)
You’re just such a sweetie pie. I can’t imagine why the other Dark-Hunters won’t let you play their reindeer games. Shame on them all. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I find that hard to believe. Nothing comes free in this world. Ever. (Sin)
Then get up and get dressed. There’s the door. I’m sure you know how to use it. It’s a really simple process. You put one foot in front of the other, turn the knob, and keep going. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Stop calling your akri your daddy. It makes my wings droop. (Xirena)
My akri is my daddy. He said so and it is so, so your wings can droop all they want, ‘cause it won’t change anything! (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“He sad enough already because he has to deal with that bitch-goddess with the red hair. (Simi)
Simi! (Kat)
Well, she is a bitch-goddess. I know you love her, akra-Kat, but facts is fact and she a mean heifer. (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Apollymi keeps a tight rein on them. (Kat)
Death to the bitch-goddess! May she die in a flaming pit of Charonte spit! (Xirena)
Damn, Kat, you can’t win for losing. Is there anyone, other than you, who actually likes your family? (Sin)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You don’t want the Simi to watch over the bitch-goddess, do you? ‘Cause no offense, akri, that would just be wrong, and I love you, but that’s more love than the Simi has for anything. Even Diamonique. (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“He knows she’s his daughter, twit. (Artemis)
Twit? Moi? The Simi? Why, I do believe the bitch-goddess has done gone and gotten herself confused. She thinks she’s me, not that I blame her. All women want to be me because of my beautoneousness and the fact that I have such stylish clothing and sparklies. But believe me, I ain’t no heifer-goddess. (Simi)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I don’t even know what to say to you. (Acheron)
Me, either. I guess we’ll just stand here and cry at each other, huh? (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You’re so beautiful. I wish I’d seen you as a child. (Acheron)
You didn’t miss much. I had buck teeth and stringy hair. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It’s true, and I was really hideous as a preteen. Tall and gawky. I used to bump my head into everything. Still do sometimes. (Kat)
You are my daughter. (Acheron)
Sure I am, I can’t imagine you ever being uncoordinated. (Kat)
Oh, I assure you I’ve nailed quite a few signs with my forehead. It’s a wonder ‘Exit’ isn’t permanently imprinted right between my eyes. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Trust me, little one. Everyone makes mistakes. Even the gods, and ours are much worse than those of humans. Unlike humans, we don’t suffer alone. Rather, we share the pain with thousands. That’s why you must learn to be like your father. To hold in your tears and anger. Try not to punish what you love. (Artemis)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I wronged him, Katra. Greatly. I had the entire world in my hand at one time and I didn’t know it. I let stupidity blind me and I lost him because of that. (Artemis)
Then tell him you’re sorry. (Kat)
As your father would say, there are some things ‘sorry’ can’t repair. Some pains run too deep to ever be healed by something as simple as words, no matter how much you mean them. (Artemis)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“How wonderful. An Atlantean to eat. (Female Gallu)
How wonderful. A bitch to declaw. (Kat)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Now that system has weakened to the point he and his worst disciples are able to be free. He wants total mayhem and bloodshed. Most of all, he wants Sin to suffer for helping to lock him in there. (Zakar)
Oh, this just gives you the warm and fuzzies, doesn’t it? (Kat)”

“Evil? (Sin)
To the core of her rotten soul. (Kat)
It’s true. There’s nothing like a bitch in heels, of which I’m the biggest. I know there has to be a point to this, since you’re in a dream with gorgeous twins and nobody’s naked. I could have sworn I taught you better, Katra. (Kytara)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Tell him what? Kat’s a raging nymphomaniac. (Kytara)
Tara! (Kat)
Oh, all right. She’s so bland she makes plain toast look spicy. (Kytara)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“He attacked us. What was I supposed to do? Invite him to dinner? (Sin)”

01/30/2009 page 24
6.7% "Currently doing my yearly reread of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series."
04/12/2010 page 0
0.0% "(Yearly series reread) This story is SO well written! Truly a favorite of mine!"
04/15/2010 page 302
84.36% "(Yearly series reread) I do so love Kat and Sin's relationship! Powerful beyond words!"