Jacqueline's Reviews > Night Embrace

Night Embrace by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Oct 28, 13

bookshelves: author-sherrilyn-kenyon, series-dark-hunter, genre-romance-contemporary, genre-romance-paranormal, genre-romance-urban-fantasy, trope-adventure, trope-angst-ridden, trope-at-odds-couple, trope-big-misunderstanding, trope-childhood-bond, trope-courtship-dance, trope-forbidden-love, trope-hero-across-the-tracks, trope-hero-alpha, trope-hero-beta, trope-hero-deformity-scars-disabled, trope-hero-ethnic-flavor, trope-hero-genius-or-cerebral, trope-hero-in-deception, trope-hero-in-pursuit, trope-hero-job-warrior, trope-hero-knight-in-shining-armor, trope-hero-jealous-protective, trope-hero-recluse, trope-hero-rogue-or-rake, trope-hero-ethnic-scot-or-irish, trope-hero-smitten-with-heroine, trope-hero-tortured, trope-hero-widower-or-mourning, trope-heroine-across-the-tracks, trope-heroine-alpha, trope-heroine-genius-or-cerebral, trope-heroine-hoyden-or-spirited, trope-heroine-in-pursuit, trope-heroine-job-artist-or-muscian, trope-heroine-misfit, trope-heroine-plain-or-ugly, trope-heroine-plus-sized, trope-heroine-widow-or-divorcee, trope-heroine-working-class, trope-hilarity-within, trope-in-deception, trope-jealousy-runs-amok, trope-married-couple, trope-mistaken-or-hidden-identity, trope-mystery-within, trope-not-your-usual-conflict, trope-nursed-back-to-health, trope-older-man-younger-woman, trope-opposites-attract, trope-perfect-banter, trope-pnr-adventure, trope-pnr-dark-and-dark-forces, trope-pnr-demons, trope-pnr-fated-to-be-mated, trope-pnr-ghosts, trope-pnr-gods-goddesses, trope-pnr-good-v-evil, trope-pnr-hero-begifted, trope-pnr-hero-cursed, trope-pnr-hero-guardian-warrior, trope-pnr-hero-human, trope-pnr-hero-nonhuman, trope-pnr-hero-psychic, trope-pnr-hero-vampire, trope-pnr-hero-warlock, trope-pnr-heroine-human, trope-pnr-heroine-saves-the-day, trope-pnr-human-other-pairing, trope-pnr-magic-or-occult, trope-pnr-nonhumans, trope-pnr-shifters, trope-pnr-vampires, trope-second-chance-together, trope-shhh-its-a-secret, trope-siblings-or-family-within, trope-star-crossed-love, trope-threes-company-or-more
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; but the series was recommended by a B.A.M saleswoman.
Recommended for: Anyone who loves sarcastic dry humor, awesome fight scenes, and sexy characters
Read from October 22 to 25, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 6 times now

Read: October 22, 2013 – October 25, 2013
Read: July 19, 2010
Read: January 15, 2009 – January 17, 2009
Read: November 2008
Read: April 2007
Read: January 1, 2005

Love, pain, loss, blessings, death, reunion, sacrifice, torture, happiness, parenthood, responsibility, darkness, evil, honor, goodness, determination, and redemption are just an itsy-bitsy list of the themes with which Night Embrace is gonna rock your world. You're gonna laugh, you're gonna cry, you're gonna face-scream and applause pretty much throughout the entirety of this awesome behemoth. Put simply, Bilbo had it right - this book's gonna adventure you so hardcore. And, this loveliness starts, of course, with Talon of the Morrigantes.

Basically, he's the epitome of a bad-ass. A Celtic bad-ass, even. However, in my not so important opinion, while I adore Talon (because c'mon, how could you not?) I find his back-story, while heart breaking, less so in comparison to other tragic Dark-Hunter stories. Mind you, this could be my being a picky-ass, but Talon's personal tragedies were often brought about by his own choices. These choices, and while understandable, put a distance in my adoration of him. I fully admit, though, that my wanting to slap him upside the head with a crowbar, on occasion, did contribute to making him a fleshed out character.

(*Grins.*) Joking aside, Talon is unique among the DH boys for, while scrumptious and tortured, he frequently allows his emotions to get the better of him, thus making him seem more human than any other Dark-Hunter. I like Tally, but there exists an element that makes me want to throttle him right before I hug him. Still, while bodaciously adorable and likeable, it's Talon's sense of humor that wins him All Of The Loves. His dynamic with Nick, Acheron, fellow Dark-Hunters, hell, even with frenemies like Zarek, will undoubtedly leave your face muscles aching from laughter. Of course, speaking of laughter, we can't neglect Sunshine Runningwolf.

Yep. I admit it; I totally love her with much love. Of all the heroines that could be written, she is the single most memorable. Without question this girl struts on the page with bucket-loads of personality that grab you be the shirt and ask, "Who IS this chick?" A flibbertigibbet artist who is unquestionably a refugee from a hippie camp, what makes Sunny so adorable is, yes, her forgetfulness, yes, her love of life, but most importantly her heart. While Talon is her antithesis in the small things, the two share a kindness for others that is remarkable, and down right adorable.

Oh, by the way, did I mention the plot?! Holy-crap-stick, THE PLOT! This baby comes in at a whopping 408 pages, and that's a bit long for a standard mass market paperback, but trust that this sucker doesn't lag. We've got pissed off gods, renegade Dark-Hunters, an "let's-avoid-the-apocalypse" story line, not to mention a most excellent cast of supporting characters. Interestingly, while the plot does take a backseat to the romantic buildup and relationship of Talon and Sunshine (we'll get to that in a minute, friends), when this sucker arrives for the climax, it busts onto the scene with TNT. The surrounding plot threads make this book unquestionably fun, mind-blowing, and definitely worth the read. As for the actual romance between Talon and Sunshine? Well...

I know, I know! (*Ducks behind couch to avoid the rotten tomatoes.*) Sadly, I'm not really in the Fangirl Camp for these two awesome characters. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love them as characters, and while I do believe the HEA at the end, I never really felt the connectivity between them as their story was unfolding. I think this stems largely from the soul mate aspect (you'll see when you read), but because of this it made their romance difficult for me. I still heart them, I did love the book, and I enjoyed Talon and Sunshine interacting, but as for the love-story itself? Gotta say no. The book kicks copious ass, even outside the lovey-dovey element, if for no other reason than climax, the supporting cast, and the universe around Talon and Sunshine. These elements make this book so frakking good.

You request it, Night Embrace, and you damned sure get it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Embrace.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“May the gods damn you all! (Talon)
The gods don’t damn us, we damn ourselves by our words and deeds. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Tell me, Sorcerer, is there any spell you have that can take this agony from me? (Talon)
Aye, Celt. I can show you how to bury that pain so deep inside you that it will prick you no more. But be warned that nothing is ever given freely and nothing last forever. One day something will come along to make you feel again, and with it, it will bring the pain of the ages upon you. All you have hidden will come out and it could destroy not only you, but anyone near you. (Acheron)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know, Talon, killing a soul-sucking Daimon without a good fight is like sex without foreplay. A total waste of time and completely un…satisfying. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I miss the good old days when Daimons were warriors and combat trained. The ones I found tonight knew nothing about fighting, and I’m sick of the whole ‘my gun will solve all’ mentality. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“About a hundred or so years before you were born, a Dark-Hunter made the mistake of falling in love with his Talpina. Unfortunately for the rest of us, she didn’t pass Artemis’s test. Artemis was so angry, she stepped in and banished the Talpinas from us, and implemented the oh so wonderful you’re-only-supposed-to-sleep-with-them-once rule. As further backlash, Acheron came up with the never-touch-your-Squire law. I tell you, you haven’t lived until you’ve tried to find a decent one-night stand in seventh-century Britain. (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yeah, I know, but word came from Artemis herself that she wanted him here. Looks like we’re having a psycho reunion this week…Oh wait, it’s Mardi Gras. Duh. (Talon)”

“Ah, man. (Talon)
What? (Wulf)
Friggin’ Fabio alert. (Talon)
Hey, you’re not too far from the mark either, blondie. (Wulf)
Bite me, Viking. (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know, if I were a negative person, I would be seriously annoyed right now. (Talon)
You sound annoyed to me. (Wulf)
No, this isn’t annoyed. This is mild perturbance. Besides, you should see these guys. ‘Hey, Gorgeous George, I think I smell a Dark-Hunter.’ ‘Oh no, Dick, don’t be a dick. There’s no Dark-Hunter here.’ ‘I dunno…’ ‘Wait, I smell tourist. Tourist with big…strong soul.’ (Talon)
Would you stop? (Wulf)
Talk about inkblots. (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Damn, all I wanted was a drink of coffee and one little beignet. Coffee… Daimons… Coffee…Daimons. (Talon)
I think in this case the Daimons better win. (Wulf)
Yeah, but it’s chicory coffee. (Talon)
Talon wanting to be toasted by Acheron for failure to protect humans. (Wulf)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Of course, it would help if she could stay focused, but she had the attention span of a sick flea.’ (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What if he wakes up before you get home and steals you blind? (Wayne)
Steals what? My clothes won’t fit him and I have nothing of any value. Not unless he likes my Peter, Paul, and Mary collection anyway. (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What was Dionysus going to go? Send him back to his hellish isolation? He’d been there, done that, and had the Ozzy T-shirt to prove it.’ (Styxx)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Answer my question, Bacchus. I’m not one of your dickless Greeks to be kept waiting for an answer. (Camulus)
You better take a more civil tone with me, Cam. I’m not one of your flaccid Celts to shake in terror of your wrath. You want to fight, boy, bring it on. (Dionysus)
Whoa, hang on a second. Let’s save the fighting for when you two take over the world, okay? (Styxx)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“If Apollo caught sight of him outside or near a window during the light of day, Talon would be nothing more than a strip of fried bacon on the sidewalk. Extra-crispy Celt didn’t appeal to him in the least.’ (Talon)”
tags: humor

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Hey, Sunshine, your friend’s awake. What’s his name? (Starla)
I don’t know, Starla. I didn’t ask. (Sunshine)
You look like a Steve. Are you hungry, Steve? (Starla)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I would have bought you some more, but since they didn’t have tags in them, I didn’t know what size to buy. (Sunshine)
Great. I live to be stuck in strange places, naked. (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Is there a phone I can use? (Talon)
In the kitchen. (Sunshine)
Could you please bring it to me? (Talon)
It’s not cordless. I always lose those things or I drop them someplace and break them. The last one I had ended up drowning in the toilet. (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Really? So you brought home a vampire? Cool. (Starla)
I’m not a vampire. (Talon)
’Not exactly,’ he said earlier. What’s not exactly a vampire? (Sunshine)
A werewolf. With his aura, it makes sense. Wow, Sunny, you found yourself a werewolf. (Starla)
I’m not a werewolf. (Talon)
What a pity. You know, when you live in New Orleans, you expect to meet the undead or damned at least once in a while. (She looked back to Sunshine.) You think we should move? Maybe if we lived over by Anne Rice we might catch sight of a vampire or werewolf. (Starla)
I’d be happy to see a zombie. (Sunshine)
Oh, yeah. You know, your dad said he saw one out on the bayou right before we got married. (Starla)
That was probably the peyote, Mom. (Sunshine)
Oh. Good point. (Starla)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Oh, yeah, insanity ran deep in the roots of that family tree.’ (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Talon glanced around the loft. It looked as if a bottle of Pepto-Bismol had exploded, or the Cat in the Hat had come for a visit.’ (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Do you have any coffee? (Talon)
Ew! No, that stuff will kill you. I have herbal teas, though. (Sunshine)
Herbal teas? That’s mulch, not a beverage. (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Oooo, My Picky woke up on the wrong side of the bed. (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Do you own anything not pink? (Talon)
I have a purple razor if you’d rather. (Sunshine)
Please. (Talon)
(She pulled out a darker pink one.)
That’s not purple. It’s pink too. (Talon)
Well, that’s all I have unless you want my X-Acto blade. (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know, Talon. Towels look really good on you. You go outside like that and you’ll start a whole new fashion craze. (Sunshine)
Do you always say everything that comes to your mind? (Talon)
Mostly. I do have some thoughts I keep to myself. I used to not care and would say anything at all, but then one time my college roommate called the psycho unit on me. You know, they really do have white coats. (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You still haven’t eaten your muffin. (Sunshine)
‘Yeah, right. He still hadn’t eaten his boots either, and he’d rather feast on one of them than that thing in her hand.’ (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You know, you say ‘not exactly’ a lot. You’re not exactly a vampire. You’re not exactly from Scotland, and you’re allergic to daylight. What else? (Sunshine)
I hate bran muffins and grass. (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Okay. That was nice. Clothes. You need clothes before I do something I might not regret. What was your size again, Steve? (Sunshine)
Talon. (Talon)
Talon. Size. Clothes. Cover him up. I’m going to go get Talon clothes. Keys. Need keys for car. Purse. Money for clothes. Shoes. Must have shoes to shop and keep feet warm. (Sunshine)
What about a coat? It is wintertime. (Talon)
Coats are good in the winter. (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I’m no longer human and there is no past.’ (Acheron's litany)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“C’mon, Tally. Don’t you want your clothes, your keys? Oh wait, how about some dignity? (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Nice knees, bud, but the hairy legs could use a Bush Hog. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Yeah, well, he’s still on Dark-Hunter payroll, so tell him to keep his phone turned on. (Talon)
Ooo. Getting testy in your fierce nakedness. (Kyrian)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Ugh! Why couldn’t anyone ever trust her? She wasn’t a two-year-old. If her kindness killed her, then she was better off dead than living a cold, unfeeling life where she misered up all her feelings and possessions.’ (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“She’s best friends with my wife. (Julian)
Gracie? You’re married to Gracie? That was you? You’re Mr. Hot Bottom! (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Baby, I don’t feel pain. Ever. (Talon)
Really? Not even a little? (Sunshine)
It’s a waste of time and energy. It also drains the mind and makes it weary. (Talon)
But without pain, you can’t have joy. It’s the balance that makes us appreciate the extreme. (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“If you have a gun, unload it. (Mike)
Why? (Nick)
Because if you don’t, you’re going to shoot this asshole which will only piss him off more. (Mike)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Well, if you’re through taunting poor Mike, are you ready to go? (Nick)
You give me any lip, little boy, and there won’t be enough left of you to run through a sieve. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I might not like the fact that you are my commander, Greek, but as a soldier I will obey you regardless of my personal distaste for your company. (Valerius)
Gee, T-Red, doesn’t it make you all warm and fuzzy just to be near him? (Talon)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Any problems with your flight? (Acheron)
I didn’t eat my pilot if that’s what you mean. And little Nicky here is still breathing and not bleeding. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Nick was dressed in jeans, a dark green sweater, and bomber jacket–the perfect image of a rich college student. Talon looked like a biker who had just left Sanctuary, New Orleans’s premier biker bar. Acheron looked like a refugee from the Dungeon–the local underground goth hangout. Valerius was the professional contingent, and Zarek…Zarek just looked like he was ready to kill something.’ (Talon)”

“(Zarek attacks Valerius.)
Cease! I know it’s been a long time since you were around another Dark-Hunter, Z, but remember, whatever you do to him, you will feel it tenfold. (Acheron)
Pain I can take, it’s him I can’t. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You should be beaten for that. (Valerius)
Try beating me, you sorry piece of shit, and I’ll force-feed you that black heart of yours. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Next time I’ll just send the three of you e-mails. What was I thinking when I decided to have this meeting? (Acheron)
Oh, I know. That men who are a couple of thousand years old could actually behave like grownups? (Nick)
(Zarek elbowed Nick in the stomach.)
Oops. Involuntary arm spasm. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I swear, Daimons or not, if you don’t behave, Z, I’m going to send you to Antarctica and leave you there to rot. (Acheron)
Ooo. I’m terrified. Those killer penguins and hairy seals are really scary. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You, psycho-ass, and Talon, I’ll cover, but not him. (Nick)
Psycho-ass? Hmm, I like that. (Zarek)
Nick– (Acheron)
It’s all right, Greek. I would rather die than have his plebeian help anyway. (Valerius)
Make that three votes, then. I would rather he died, too. Now all together, let’s vote this asshole off the island. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I will not work with a slave as an equal nor will I share a servant with him. (Valerius)
Trust me, boy, we’re not equal. You’re so far beneath me that I would sooner sit in shit than let you wipe my ass. (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I know. ‘Nick, go after psycho-ass and show him where he lives.’ But might I point out that in doing this, I should qualify for hazard pay? (Nick)
Might I point out that staying here with me is far more hazardous to your health? (Acheron)
What? Am I still here? Oh no, sorry, thought I’d left ten minutes ago. (Nick)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What were you thinking? You just met him. (Selena)
I know. It’s so not like me, but I couldn’t help myself. It was just like that weird magnetic force that grabs me when I’m walking past the Frostbyte Café and makes me swerve in to get a triple scoop of Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey. The power of temptation was just too much, Selena. I couldn’t resist it. He was a Chunky Monkey container and all I could think was, ‘Someone give me a spoon.’ (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Don’t worry. It’ll never happen again. You know me, I do date occasionally, but I usually spend at least a few normal, boring days with a guy before we rock the house down. Of course, no one ever rocked my house down the way this guy did. He leveled the mother to its foundations. (Sunshine)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“You swore an oath, just like the rest of us. I won’t have you preying on innocents in my town. (Talon)
Ooo. How cliché, little partner. Wanna tell me to be out by sunup, or better yet, this town ain’t big enough for the two of us? (Zarek)”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Let go of me, Celt, or I’ll rip your arm off. And you know what? I don’t care if I lose both of mine in the process. That’s the difference between us. Pain is my friend and ally. You fear it. (Zarek)”

01/15/2009 page 11
2.7% "Currently doing my reread of Kenyon's Dark-Hunter seires for the year."
01/16/2009 page 98
24.02% "Currently doing my yearly reread of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series."
01/17/2009 page 265
64.95% "Currently doing my yearly reread of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter seires"
07/19/2010 page 128
31.0% "(Reread for quotes)"
10/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/22/2013 page 83
20.0% "Yep. Despite having reread this book about 5 times, I still heart Sunny and Talon so, so much.

"
10/23/2013 page 137
33.0% "

So it's totally okay that I want my best friend in the universe to be a fictional character, right?"
10/24/2013 page 343
84.0% "While I'm not an uber fan-girl of this particular DH book, it still kicks oh-so-much ass.
"
10/25/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anna Love love love love Sunshine and Talon!

Jacqueline They're not my Ultimate Favorite Couple story in the DH world, but as characters I adore them! They're so unique and individualistic that it makes the book so awesome.

I'm rereading all the DH books (I do this about every two to three years or so) and this time around I'm rewriting the reviews, too. Hopefully I can encapsulate my sentiments better about Night Embrace this time around, LOL.

Anna I see that you have not yet read Styxx. Neither have I. I purchased it in hardcover! It's a doorstop!! I don't know exactly when I will get to it, but I am excited.

Jacqueline I'm book-hoarding it like bad! I used to rush to read Sherri's books, but then I realized anticipation is half the fun, so I'm savoring it. It's killing my fiance, though - I got him into the series years ago, and the rule is he can't read my books before I do. I'm a terrible person, LMAO!