Giselle at BO-OK NERD Canada's Reviews > Furious

Furious by Jill Wolfson

Jan 30, 15

bookshelves: 2013, arc-physical, from-publishers, requested-for-review
Read from April 18 to 23, 2013, read count: 1

With beauty comes power. Imagine the Greek Furies as teenagers in our modern society and you'll have Furious as your guidebook. This is a simple retelling of the mythological characters we all know to love (and hate). There is definitely cause for discussion with the captivating characters who transform right before our eyes. Especially my favourite transition of shy girl into a powerful megalomaniac.

I disliked the stereotypical labels and prejudices found in the book. Maybe since I see it portrays on television, I get annoyed seeing it in my favourite medium. Or I also dislike the fact that bullying occurs in real life and I don't like having it shown in books because I believe books set a better example for all of humanity. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The book delivers on my expectations and I was highly entertained but I was also looking for something more. Maybe more twists and turns than I could count?

Overall, if you love drama and intrigue thrown into a high school teenager's life, read this! If not, you can definitely pass on.

Quotes

“How can you not care? How can anyone not feel?” (103)

“People in power don't like sharing their power.” (131)

“Without forgiveness, it gets stuck in your throat. Justice becomes revenge—endless, hateful, spiteful, soul-rotting revenge.” (169)

“My friends do things, and I just go along with them. Sometimes I don't think for myself.” (184)

“I like being the me I always wanted to be, the me I always hoped was buried inside.” (238)

“When you make others live in misery, you wind up living in it, too.”—Raymond (282)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furious.

04/21/2013 page 103
30.0% "The pacing is so slow.. Must keep reading.."
04/21/2013 page 139
41.0% "What horrible nicknames.. I know this book is about the Furies, but it's just as bad as being one of these bullies., *sighs*"
04/22/2013 page 237
70.0% "With beauty, comes power. Hope this character learns to not abuse said power.."
04/23/2013 marked as: read