Jason's Reviews > Devil Said Bang

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: e-books, read-2012
Read in September, 2012

4 Stars

I am giving this book 4 stars even though I really enjoy Sandman Slim at the 5 star level. This book by its very nature of taking place after Aloha from Hell(book 3) which ended many of the main story lines is at a disadvantage. It does bring to conclusion the few remaining open ends and really brings Sandman Slim back to his center but offers up little extra.

This is a fun read that takes place first in Hell and then back on the streets of LA. Without spoilers James Stark spends much of this book having to fulfill work obligations all the while trying to figure out a way to reclaim his old life back in LA. Like the previous novels, Kadrey further deepens the storyline of war between heaven and hell, and gives us even more backstory on Lucifer and God himself. Sandman Slim has an amazing arsenal of killing weapons at his disposal, a landspeed breaking motorcycle, and a really sweet piece of armor. There are many great action scenes and the plot has a couple of cool twists. Ii ends in such a way that I am even more pleased with the direction that his story can continue than I was at the end of the last book.

Kadrey’s writing brings life and humor to this dark urban fantasy and makes his books a pleasure to read.

““If wishes were horses we’d all have shit on our boots. Choose, Chuck. A quiet death or a messy life.””

A good sum up of the first three books that also show off Kadrey’s writing style:

““No. Just thinking about things. Back in Hell, Great-Great-Great-Granddad told me to pick and choose my fights. I agree with him but sometimes it’s hard to pick which fights because you don’t know what they are until you start. I thought I was Elvis on Ice when I stopped Mason’s war with Heaven. But I left all those Hellions Mason’s war with Heaven. But I left all those Hellions worse off because they thought they were going to get free from Hell. Then I come back to L.A. to find Candy off with someone else, Aelita is back, there’s a murdering ghost on the loose, and a scar-faced skinhead’s looking to kill me all because I cut off a Kissi’s head a year ago. He deserved it but that doesn’t matter in the big picture. What matters is everything down the line that killing him triggered. But how do you know what bad juju you’re shaking loose before you start shaking things up?””

I confess that I am a lover of all things with a biblical horror flare, and the Sandman Slim series leads the way. James Stark is a no holds barred killing machine that gets his looks and his style from his father?/uncle? Lucifer himself. This book completes what Aloha from Hell started and concludes at a good place. I highly enjoyed this book as I have all of this series…Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil Said Bang.

09/01/2012
33.0% "I really love James Stark, I mean Sandman Slim, oops I mean Lucifer!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo Anne (new)

Jo Anne B I like that, "biblical horror flare". It is so you:)