Mallory's Reviews > Rush Home Road

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens

Aug 08, 12

Read from August 05 to 07, 2012

There is no question in my mind that Lori Lansens is a strong writer with a lot of voice. She creates characters who you care about and want to know more about. After enjoying The Girls a great deal earlier this year, I was interested to read her first novel. Unfortunately, this novel falls flat and doesn't hold up to my expectations.

The characters are interesting enough, but the storyline is at best predictable and at worst contrived. There are moments that are genuinely touching interspersed with others that are emotionally manipulative. And while I like both Addy and Sharla, I wish there had been more character development; they sometimes threaten to leap off the page, but never quite manage to do so.

I wasn't sure if I should tear up or roll my eyes at the trite yet satisfying ending, so I let one well and rolled the other. People on the beach thought I was having a stroke.

Overall, a quick, decent read but lacking the emotional depth I had hoped after liking The Girls so much. It's a first novel and it reads like one--when it's not reading like a movie of the week--but Lansens has talent and I'll continue to look for her work in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rush Home Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♥ Marlene♥ OMG You had me in stitches with your "I wasn't sure if I should tear up or roll my eyes at the trite yet satisfying ending, so I let one well and rolled the other. People on the beach thought I was having a stroke: I can just picture you. hahaha.