Leonardo's Reviews > A Bear Called Paddington

A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond

Dec 03, 14

bookshelves: children, animals, novels-and-short-stories, humour, england, cities, favorites
Recommended to Leonardo by: My worn-out pillow case
Recommended for: Children of all ages
Read from November 26 to 30, 2014 — I own a copy, read count: 2

A little background... When I was a little boy, an English couple, friends of my parents from the time my dad was studying for his Master degree in Animal Nutrition in Newcastle, came to visit them (us) in Mexico, and they brought me a Paddington pillow case. However, it was until very recently that I found out that there was actually a series of books about that funny bear, eating marmalade while seating on his case, at an English train station. So, when my wife and I recently visited England for the first time, getting hold of something Paddington-related was one of our main objectives. I did get a Paddington bear, but I was even more delighted to get hold of the first Paddington book... I even actually "jumped it ahead" in my queue of books (or it would have waited at least a year unread). What can I say... I read it on one sit and I was utterly delighted and amazed by Paddington's adventures and antics.

[Addenda to my review, after a second reading]
I decided to re-read Paddington's adventures before going to see the movie, and I was again charmed and delighted by the troubles that his innocence and misunderstandings put him through, both at the home of his British family, as well as in the world at large. The adventure with the escalator at the underground, and the dissapearing tricks at this birthday party are particularly memorable. Paddington is certainly a British institution, as Stephen Fry once said (and is quoted in the back of the book), but that doesn't prevent his adventures from being enjoyed by people from all over the world.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bear Called Paddington.

11/27/2014 marked as: currently-reading