Lori's Reviews > Robert B. Parker's Lullaby

41933
Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: adult-fiction, series, spenser
Read in August, 2012

When robert B. Parker passed away in 2010 I was crushed. After all his main character, Spenser, and I have been in a relationship since I read my first Parker book in 19??.
He is my secret boyfriend.

So when Parker passed away I thought that was the end of our relationship. Then the Parker estate announced that another author, Ace Atkins, would be taking over the Spenser series.

Woohoo! I thought and promptly checked out an Atkins book to see if I would like his writing style.

Um. He does not write in any way like Parker. Parker had that gloriuos dialogue. Quick, witty and loads of it. Atkins did not.

But I still order Lullaby and hoped ..oh did I hope.

Well, all I can say is well done. The dialogue was there, Spenser was as tough yet sensitive as ever. Hawk as dangerous and sexy as he's always been (there's just something about those bad boys).

The story revolves around 14 year old Mattie's quest to find her mother's killer even though someone had already been jailed for the offense. She hires Spenser for the princely some of a dozen donuts. In true Spenser fashion he becomes attached to the girl, seeing in her bits of himself and his experiences. Even Hawk develops a soft spot for the hard as nails young lady.

Once again, well done. I can sleep easily now that I know my Spenser is still out there someone ready to take on the bad guys.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robert B. Parker's Lullaby.