Herbst lied's Reviews > Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

F 50x66
Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading

"The Self says to the mind: "Feel pain!" Then the mind suffers, and thinks how it may put an end to its suffering-and that is why it is made to think. The Self says to the mind: "Feel pleasure!" Then the mind is pleased, and thinks how it may be pleased again-and that is why it is made to think. I want to speak to the despisers of the body. Their contempt is caused by the irrespect. What is it that created respect and contempt and worth and will? The creating Self created for itself respect and contempt, it created for itself pleasure and pain. The creative body created the mind as a hand for its will."

Horrifying it is to imagine that someone (and probably an extraordinarily intelligent one) has gone through so many attempts at reasoning, gone through all the deconstructioning and disillusionment, and then chose this thought. This thought that has the same truth that Eckhart Tolle's New Erath or Herman Hesse's Siddhartha have conveyed. Yet the concentration on the physicality and sheer matter in it reminds me of the feeling that I sometimes have: my head is heavy, not of thinking, but is heavy with weight and blood, and skin and hair, with liquids and viscid matter jolting and shaking in there and nothing more. It is the same feeling of a lamb's head being prepared for cooking and making soup out of it.
Just horrifying!
Still it is interesting, this coup on the limitation of thought, and man's poor faltering and falling and the resort to this method of conveying the Truth. It is the same truth of acceptance, but something unacceptable still looms in its rendering. One more thought that I should put on the shelf with all the other ones that I summon whenever I rummage in thinking.

And shame! Even "sleep, the lord of virtues!" is not a modern Syrian proverb! It is Nietzsche's!!! Shame!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

message 1: by Kinan (new) - added it

Kinan Arous I found some hard time reading it and understanding every idea he gave, maybe I will comeback to it when my mind is more prepared.

Herbst lied Kinan wrote: "I found some hard time reading it and understanding every idea he gave, maybe I will comeback to it when my mind is more prepared."

It would surprise you how much it differs from one reading time to another, Kinan. Now, every time I think something have changed in me, in the way I think, I reread everything!!
Kids and adults, don't do that at home please!

Herbst lied Graceful wrote: "You review is better than mine was, darn you! Seriously, I think you did a better job of describing the non-flow of unreasonable thought that the book embodies."

Non-flow of unreasonable thought!? Do you mean flow of unreasonable thought, or non-flow of reasonable thought maybe?!
Thank you Graceful, that is encouraging for a little writer like myself trying to write ideas decently.