Kathleen's Reviews > Pam of Babylon

Pam of Babylon by Suzanne Jenkins

Aug 10, 12

Read from August 08 to 09, 2012

One man ... three women ... a tangled web of secrets, lies and deceit revealed by the man's death ... a tale of recovery, forgiveness and starting over.

Pam Smith is a fifty-five year old woman who has lived a charmed life: the perfect husband; two grown children; a house in Babylon, a beach town on Long Island; and a comfortable lifestyle.

Pam's world is turned upside down when she receives a call that her husband Jack had a fatal heart attack on the train. Jack's death opens up a pandora's box of secrets, lies and deceits ... Jack had been living a triple life. Pam's eyes open to the realization that she never really knew the man that she had loved, and that her marriage was not as solid as she thought it had been.

This is a story of one woman's attempt to deal with the aftermath of her husband's death and the revelation of his secret lives that he shared with his mistress and sister-in-law. This is the story of how she picks up the pieces of her life and works through the stages of anger and grief to reach forgiveness.

Pam of Babylon is a spellbinding and intensely poignant story that will pull at your heartstrings. The author weaves a powerful tale told in the third person narrative, focusing on the different perspectives of the husband and the three women in his life. It is a fascinating look into the complexities of a marriage wrought with secrets, lies and deceptions that had devastating consequences for the spouse and the two women who were left to pick up the pieces from the mess that was their lives.

The author has created a fascinating cast of characters that are realistic, complex, have flaws and emotions that are easy to relate to. The dynamic of the three women's personalities is palpable, the reader is drawn into their individual stories and goes along for the journey on the emotional roller coaster ride that is their lives. You can't help but feel the full gamut of emotions towards the characters' reactions to Jack's death and the aftermath when the revelations of his web of deceit come to light. At times I found myself at odds with Pam's reactions, but as I read further into the story I came to see the strength and self-preservation that she drew upon to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. I couldn't commiserate as much with Sandra the mistress or with Pam's sister Marie, while I understand that they were duped by Jack just like Pam was, I found myself gravitating more towards Pam, and I admired her dignity and ability to forgive and forge a bond with them, she is a stronger woman than I would be if I had been in her shoes.

Pam of Babylon is the first book in a trilogy of the Pam of Babylon series. The stories of Pam, Jack, Sandra and Marie continue in Don't You Forget About Me and Dream Lover. This is an amazing story that will resonate with you long after the last words are read.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Pump Up Your Book! Virtual Book Publicity Tours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pam of Babylon.

08/08/2012 page 100