Dianne's Reviews > Mr Right and Other Mongrels

Mr Right and Other Mongrels by Monique McDonell

Aug 08, 12

Read in August, 2012

This was a cute, fun breezy read. If you need some brainless book to read, do pick this up! Brainless is a compliment here. Don't you have those days where you just want to read something familiar that will end happily? That somehow even your life's in a mess, reading a happily-ever-after will put even just a smile on your lips, making you happy for a while, making you believe that there is hope in the world. That happiness can be found anywhere. When you're feeling down like that, read this book.

Sure, it is chock full of overdone tropes but it is charming and silly and funny. Allegra tells the story in her point of view and she is one funny girl. Teddy Green is your common celebrity character with a bitchy ex-girlfriend in Louisa. Basically, you know what's gonna happen just by reading the blurb. But like I said, this familiarity makes it endearing. It's like your favorite old and tattered shirt you sleep on. No matter how many times you wear it, it still has it charms. To quote Miguel Syjuco's Ilustrado, "Cliches remind and reassure us that we're not alone, that others have trod this ground long ago." That is exactly my point. Why do women love romantic comedy films when they're repetitive? It's because at the end of the film, we know it will make us feel good, believe in love and ignite that hope that there's someone out there for us as hot and handsome as Ashton Kutcher, or in this case, Teddy Green. Haha!

This novel is pure fluff so don't expect depth and brooding and philosophical questions. It's uncomplicated and it might not be for everyone since it tends to overexaggerate and it might annoy you at times because of that. But if you're looking for just that book you'd curl up to after watching all those rom-coms, this is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr Right and Other Mongrels.