Alannah Davis's Reviews > Some Like It Hot-Buttered

Some Like It Hot-Buttered by Jeffrey Cohen

4782081
Apr 21, 13

Read from April 13 to 21, 2013

The first in the Double Feature mystery series is laugh-out-loud hilarious and delightfully well-written (and quite frankly, an absolute breath of fresh air in comparison with the dud I read last week, whose title I've already mercifully forgotten).

Elliot Freed, against all the odds of our flagging economy, has sunk his lawsuit winnings - and the alimony he receives from his doctor ex-wife - into an old-fashioned comedy movie theater. Every night he plays a double feature - one old, classic comedy, and one new comedy. He can only afford two employees - a wannabe-Goth high school girl to run the snack bar, and a wannabe-movie director to run the cranky old movie projector. The theater, called Comedy Tonight, is plodding along when one night, during a showing of the classic "Young Frankenstein," a man is dies in his seat. His popcorn has been poisoned.

Strong characterization here. Each character is distinct and works well. Overall, the book is just plain fun. I can't wait to read the next in the series. In fact, I'll any of Jeffrey Cohen's work that I can get hold of.

Two thumbs up! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Like It Hot-Buttered.