Kim McGee's Reviews > A Working Theory of Love

A Working Theory of Love by Scott Hutchins

Aug 19, 12

liked it
Read from August 08 to 19, 2012

I received an advance of this book as the August selection in the Penguin Debut Authors Program. It is interesting to me that I have recently read several books that dealt with "humanlike" computers. Neill is pulled into a contest between computer giants when his dead father's journals are used to build a working model of a more "human" computer program. The idea being that it is either possible or impossible to develop a program that reacts as a person would, not as a machine. The problem is two-fold. First, Neill has some serious issues with his dad who committed suicide. Second, he has some serious issues with his mom, his ex-wife and just about every woman he has a relationship with. I didn't "click" with Neill as much as I would have liked to but I did enjoy the San Francisco culture and his exploration of the new relationship with his dad via the computer. In the end, everyone agrees that you must give the computer emotional fodder to work with - a working theory of love. Scott Hutchins provides an interesting voice of a man lost and found and that it is never too late to settle your past with your father.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Working Theory of Love.