Bill Krieger's Reviews > American Icon: Alan Mulally and the Fight to Save Ford Motor Company

American Icon by Bryce G. Hoffman

Aug 08, 2012

Read in August, 2012

American Icon is a shill... and it's still great!

Yup, Ford recruited the author to write this book, and it's a very positive treatment of Ford CEO Alan Mulally. So be it. It's still a great read. First off, the author got some really inside access at Ford, so the story has depth and rings true. Second, the writing is really good. There's a wonderful balance in the telling of the story. There's some old Ford history, and of course, the new stuff. There's some personal gossipy stories, and that's backed up with lots of background into the company and the economy and all. He builds up the tension leading to the 2008 collapse really well.

Bottom line: American Icon is just great writing that made for a compelling read.

Here's the old man a hundred years ago.

QOTD
Business men go down with their businesses because they like the old way so well they cannot bring themselves to change. One sees them all about - men who do not know that yesterday is past, and who woke up this morning with their last year's ideas.
- Henry Ford, American Icon

And here's Mulally today.

QOTD2
Here is what we will not stand for: incremental change, avoiding risk, thinking short-term, blocking innovation, tying our people's hands, defending procedures that don't make sense, and selling what we have instead of what the customer wants. In short, we will not stand for business as usual.
- Alan Mulally, American Icon

Great stuff!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Icon.