J.C.'s Reviews > The Army of the Republic: A Novel

bookshelves: 2008-reads, arc
Recommended to J.C. by: Amazon Vine Program
Read in November, 2008

Project Mayhem on Steroids

I don't know where to start. I was completely blown away by this book. Army of the Republic is similar to Fight Club, only bigger, grander, and more organized. Everything in Fight Club is in this book, with the biggest difference being the other viewpoints in a revolution.

While reading, we follow along from the first person viewpoints of a militant, a civil protest organizer, and a CEO. I am normally not a big fan of first person, but Cohen does it with such style and appreciation for the characters and their interwoven lives that I had to be impressed. Every viewpoint and every chapter was engaging. Once I hit the halfway mark through this book I could not put it down.

The beginning of Army of the Republic starts off with a masterful tone that sets the stage for the rest of the book. This book does seem to model what I would expect of a revolution in the pacing. There are times that are so high octane while others are more subtle, but still loaded with undeniable scenes that only promote the entire world and the civil unrest in that world. Furthermore, like a revolution, the books ramps up the intensity and doesn't let go. It truly is explosive.

I was engaged for every minute that I had this book in my hands. So you want a revolution? The rest is up to you.

J.Stoner

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Army of the Republic.