Stella's Reviews > Love in a Cold Climate

Aug 18, 09

bookshelves: modern-classics
Recommended to Stella by: C 19
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

Love in a Cold Climate is the 2nd in the trilogy written by Nancy Mitford (the 1st being The Pursuit of Love and the 3rd Don't Tell Alfred). I read it after The Pursuit of Love, and unfortunately the comparison doesn't favour Love in a Cold Climate: I found The Pursuit of Love wittier, more enteratining and roaring of laughter-funny. I'm sure that if I had read Love in a Cold Climate alone, I would have appreciated it more, because it is a wonderful, witty, funny and incredible book. I enjoyed it very much.

Nancy Mitford's writing style is very unique and highly enjoyable. Her dry wit and sarcastic humour reminded me sometimes of Jane Austen, the way she made fun of some of her ridiculous characters (Mrs. Elton in Emma, Mr. Collins or Lady Catherine de Bourgh in Pride and Prejudice).

I enjoyed Love in a Cold Climate very much, it was fun and quite different from the books I usually read, so I was glad I broadened my reading genre-taste. But still, I liked The Pursuit of Love better. I found TPoL much more enteratining and way more funny. I don't see why LiaCC is more famous and more well-known than TPoL. I'll read Don't Tell Alfred in the close future, I just hope I won't find it even less satisfying than LiaCC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in a Cold Climate.

12/09/2008 page 29
11.65% "Re-started it after finishing The Pursuit of Love."
01/06/2009 page 49
19.68% "Still enjoying this, so funny!"
show 1 hidden update…