DubaiReader's Reviews > Angels in the Gloom

Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012, abridged-audiobook
Read from August 08 to 15, 2012

WWI who-done-it.
Read as an abridged audiobook.

This was a nice surprise. I had previously read A Christmas Guest and found it to be an unexciting who-done-it. I had expected something similar with Angels in the Gloom but was happy to find that the WWI aspect of the book lifted it considerably from the mundane.

The story begins with Joseph Reavley, a chaplain in the army, rescuing injured men from no-man's-land. When he is injured bringing back a man from his own village, he wakes in an army hospital with an injured arm and damaged leg. He is sent home to receuperate with his sister Hannah and her boys. Hannah's husband is at sea with the navy and Joseph's brother, Matthew is working in intelligence.
Then a man from the village is murdered and Joseph, in his position as chaplain, becomes drawn into events as he comforts the grieving wife and interacts with his father's old friend Corcoran, who had been the dead man's boss.
I enjoyed the picture of life at home while the men were at war and the struggling pastor of the village who had no idea how to be there for his parisioners as word came back from the front of their losses.
The who-done-it part had a few unexpected twists and turns and this was altogether a joy to listen to.
I did think the court case was lacking in authenticity but otherwise four stars.

I hadn't realised that this was the middle book of a five part series but although I would have preferred to have read them in order it did not detract in any way. I will look out for the others and try to read the whole set.
My abridged version was well read by Michael Page.

Also read:
A Christmas Guest by Anne Perry (3 stars)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels in the Gloom.