Jen's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Michael  Grant

Nov 29, 08

bookshelves: booksfornephewsandnieces
Recommended to Jen by: Tattered Cover Book Store
Recommended for: people ready to be hooked into a series
Read in November, 2008

Gone is definitely a page-turner - it's how I spent most of Thanksgiving. It's kind of like Lord of the Flies meets The Stand (Stephen King) - except there will be five more books in the series.

Our hero Sam, 14, is sitting in class when his teacher suddenly disappears. So does the 15-year-old sitting near him. Smart-girl Astrid, who skipped a grade, was the only person who didn't disappear in her class of 15-year-olds. What starts as realization dawning and kids coping - and heroes and bullies emerging - becomes borderline supernatural as they learn something may be keeping them trapped in the "Fallout Alley Youth Zone" - they live in a beach town near a nuclear powerplant - and time is running out before Sam turns 15 and "poofs."

It's creepy and fast-paced and somehow realistic despite the sci-fi premise. My only complaint is that so many questions were left unanswered. But I suppose that's what the rest of the books will be for.

Here's a line that made me feel old: "He found a set of encyclopedias - like Wikipedia, but paper and very bulky." Ack!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

message 1: by Tanya (last edited Apr 10, 2013 02:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tanya Rivero I want to read the book for my book report, do you think it is a good book for a grade 6? I loooooooove reading, and sometimes its the only thing I will do, thanks,

word nerd. (a.k.a me!!!)

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Hi Tanya! If you love reading, you probably won't have a problem with how long it is (over 500 pages!). It probably depends on how much time you have before your book report is due. School Library Journal says Gone is good for 7th grade and older, but Booklist says grades 6-9 would like it. Since you're an advanced reader, you probably wouldn't have a problem with it. One way or another, happy reading!