Carie's Reviews > Bhagavad Gita: The Beloved Lord's Secret Love Song

F 50x66
May 09, 15

Recommended for: yoga students
Read in May, 2015

I spent ten years like most Americans who do yoga, using the practice as an antidote to city stress, as calisthenic goldenseal after a party weekend, and to keep my tummy flat. Since I've recently become aware of the profound tradition that informs our misguided versions of yoga practice (tell ya right now, the 1000-degree-room-thing isn't in the scripture), I'm 1) kind of embarrassed for being so ignorant, 2) on a mission to get smarter, and 3) hoping that I can convince other people of how much happier they could be if they started looking deeper into what yoga means. Basically, yoga was designed to be the Hydrogen Bomb in our battle to win a wise, compassionate, and (they say) eternal life, and we're over here just shooting it off for fireworks.

So, the Bhagavad Gita is a sacred Hindu scripture in which Krishna (blue-skinned Master of Space and Time) advises Arjuna (slightly doofy warrior-jock with a heart of gold) on how to embrace the divine and find joy. The word "yoga" is used a zillion times, and not one description of a bendy shape or purple mat. WHY? Because in the spiritual dictionary, our definition of yoga is, like, number 27 after a lot of way more important and subtle meanings.

I chose this edition because it also contains the full scripture in Sanskrit, which is the great-great-great Grandmother to English and is, like, way more gorgeous and fun to pronounce than crusty old Grampa Latin!

CAVEAT: if I didn't have amazing teachers in my life, this text would fly right over my head, and as it is, I only grasp a fraction of its power. But it can't hurt anyone to read a text that has been so deeply beloved by so many people over so many thousands (you hear me?) THOUSANDS of years!
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bhagavad Gita.

05/09 marked as: read