Bonnie Gayle's Reviews > The Great Good Thing

The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley

Dec 06, 08

bookshelves: childrens, fantasy-sf, reviewed, library-books
Read in November, 2008

A princess named Sylvie lives in a book that hasn't been read in many years. She has become very bored with her same old boring plot. Suddenly, though, there is a new reader, and Sylvie makes the mistake of looking up at her. Then she makes the mistake of entering her dream, when she falls asleep with the book open. Sylvie finds excitement and a new plotless existence in the reader's dream night after night, but she is risking her book, and all the characters in it, by making the journey. When disaster strikes the book, Sylvie has the idea of taking the whole story into the readers dreams, to live, but what will happen when the reader grows up and begins to forget about the book?

This one was like The Eyre Affair series for children. I thought it could be no fail, but the plot got a little convoluted when it turned into dream territory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Good Thing.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb This sounds pretty amazing, I'm going to track it down--the Fforde fan in me can't say no.