Heather Tisdale's Reviews > Painted Blind

2003692
Aug 11, 12

bookshelves: arc
Read from August 07 to 10, 2012

I was surprised that I was able to get behind this story as well as I did. It's a cute tale of a girl who finds herself surrounded by drama created by the jealousy and pettiness of of Aphrodite. Suddenly surrounded by the members of the Greek pantheon, Psyche encounters everything from love to absolute terror. Over the course of her epic adventure, the agoraphobic girl that is terrified of mundane situations, grows and develops as she finds strength within herself to attempt to achieve her hearts desire despite everything - including the gods - against her.
When I say that I was surprised that I got behind the story, it's because the story is both light and intense. At first glance it feels like your average teen book that is a lot of fun to read. Then, while reading, there are moments that are brutal, depressing, or just plain intense enough to push this book beyond basic teenage fluff. It still borders fluff territory for most of the read, but the tale frequently veers from sheer frivolity to create something that I should remember for quite a while. I would definitely recommend this to teens, or those who enjoy the YA genre. Especially for those of us who tend to enjoy the Greek deities. Anyone who knows their myth structures should find the book fairly predictable, but for once, that just didn't bother me. I still enjoyed the story. It shows promise for Hansen and I look forward to seeing what she comes out with next.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Painted Blind.