Karyn's Reviews > The Demon Catchers of Milan

The Demon Catchers of Milan by Kat Beyer

Aug 09, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-arc
Read from August 08 to 09, 2012

I loved this book for the history, for the characters, and for the food. I disliked this book for the lack of plot movement and, to be honest, the cover. It really has nothing to do with anything inside the book.

Mia is just an average American teen until she is possessed by a demon, rescued by some distant Italian relatives, and shipped off to Milan. Once she gets there we completely forget about the demon and focus on Mia's tasks of learning the language, getting to know her huge extended family, and eating large amounts of Italian food. You can tell Kat Beyer is a history person as the attention paid to the history of the family and Milan are beautiful and engrossing. The details of the plot, however, seem to be almost an afterthought.

Occasionally we learn drips and drabbles of information with Mia, but there isn't really a main plot for this book. Nothing is resolved at the end, leaving me with a feeling of incompleteness.

Mia was a believable angsty teen growing out of her self absorbed state and learning to look at others as full individuals. I hope that as the series progresses we learn more about the other characters, whose depth was only hinted at on occasion. Overall, I will definitely check out how the series continues. I have a feeling that Beyer will work out how to tighten up the plot, making her future books even more enjoyable reads.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Catchers of Milan.