Rachel Brown's Reviews > Food and Loathing: A Life Measured Out in Calories

11193019
Aug 07, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: memoir, nonfiction

A lightweight memoir about compulsive overeating.

I've read a couple of memoirs about eating disorders and/or body image issues, mostly because I read a lot of memoirs in general. By far the best-written was the anorexia/bulimia memoir Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia, by Marya Hornbacher. I liked the latter so much that I gave it to a friend of mine who is interested in psychology, only to discover much later, to my chagrin, that she had wondered if I was trying to send her some kind of message. That book is intense.

However, with others I have a sick tendency to enjoy the loving food descriptions on the exact same level that I would enjoy those in a cookbook. Compulsive eaters are second only to food writers in their ability to conjure up the complex web of emotions and sensations associated with eating.

Lerner becomes a compulsive overeater at a very young age, spends years under the care of a clueless psychiatrist, and finally ends up in a mental hospital after a suicide attempt. She contemplates jumping off a bridge, but is interrupted by a man who had been beating off in the bushes. This is definitely the best truth-is-stranger-than-fiction moment in the book.

Women in America have huge issues with body image, weight, and food. I am one of only about two or three American women I've ever met who has never been on a diet, and I have known a lot of women with eating disorders and body image obsessions. So a book on eating disorders and body image had better either address those issues in sociopolitical context or else be one heck of a compelling story. Lerner's book didn't quite make it for me on either count. More humor would probably have helped, and more of a focus on the interplay between her dysfunctional brain chemistry (she turns out to be bipolar) and the dysfunctional circumstances of her life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Food and Loathing.

message 1: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Yeah, I found it a bit weird how poorly written this book was, given that she's apparently some kind of big-time editor (at Random House? She was Elizabeth Wurtzel's first editor, I think, anyway).