Emily's Reviews > The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

Nov 25, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, classics
Read in October, 2009

With the amount of depth and insight contained in this book, it surprised me to find out that this was McCullers first book and was written at the age of 23. It is about the lives of several unique characters growing up in a poor southern town in the 1930s. McCullers allows you to get inside each of their minds so fully that you walk away completely knowing them. Their lives are all unconventionally intertwined, with John Singer, a deaf-mute, at the center. He is a trusted friend, confidante, and peace-giver to many, although he never speaks a word. Each character is searching for something to fill a void in their life. My favorite character is Mick Kelly, a free-spirited teenage girl who has a passion for music and dreams of writing a symphony. I didn't love all the characters, but I could appreciate the message each one delivered. This is a deep (and sad) book with many layers. I would have given it 5 stars if it had a stronger ending. The ending may have fit for the book, but I was so well-aquainted with each of the characters, I wanted and needed so much more for them. This book really made me think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart is a Lonely Hunter.