Allison's Reviews > What I Saw and How I Lied

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

Dec 08, 08

QUESTION? How did this win the National Book Award? If the first half of the book had been put into 3-or-so chapters so that the reader could get to the things that happen in the story, it would have been a lot better. I'm so glad that I finally finished it so I can stop sighing through an award winning novel wanting so badly to move on to the other books in my "to read" pile. I wasn't captivated by the "period" of this period piece. I wasn't captivated by the setting. The characters didn't have much depth. Actually, I found them to be very boring.

I need feedback fellow goodreaders. Help me out here. Am I alone in thinking that this book is a disappointing read?

What do you think?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Saw and How I Lied.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Theresa This is up next on my to-read list so I'll let you know, but as with so many award winners, I am not optimistic.

Allison If you can get through it, I'd love to share our thoughts!

Allison Luckily, I am reading "Repossessed" now an dit is totally fun and creative and interesting! Like a sundae with a cherry on top after all the hard work of reading "What I Saw..."

Theresa I'll have to check that one out. I'm reading "the knife of never letting go" right now and it's crazy but good.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott See the National Book Award should have just picked Frankie Landau-Banks and then everything would have been fine. You wouldn't have been bored or uncaptivated.

Allison You are so right! And thanks for your take on "Tyrell." I agree all around!

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Allison wrote: "You are so right! And thanks for your take on "Tyrell." I agree all around!

"

Ha ha. Yeah I was fired up. Great book though.

Sharon I was so excited when I got this book. Boy was it a let down. I'm trying to read it right now but I find it to be so very boring.

message 9: by Georgia (new)

Georgia I read this book for my job, and I REALLY disliked it. Most of my dislike came from feeling that the book was really trashy and unrealistic. It seems pretty weird/ooky that Evie's sitting on her stepdad's lap at age 15 (and plays hopscotch!), and then a few weeks later is making out with a 23-year-old. And the murder plot is just ridiculous.

message 10: by Emma (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emma Louise I'm with you. It was a pretty boring book in the last half.

message 11: by Nisha (new) - rated it 1 star

Nisha I completely agree! I found this book incredibly boring and the only actual "story" happened near the end of the book!

Jennifer Tromello It started interesting then totally crash and burned....i agree!

Sharon National Book Award winners tend to disappoint me. I am just not on the same wave length with what it takes to be a nationally acclaimed book. As I was reading, I went back and checked to see that I had Evie's age correct. One minute she's 15 and playing hopscotch. The next she's romantically involved with a 23-year-old. Huh? Could not generate any enthusiasm for this book.