Sara's Reviews > The Accidental Senator, Vol 1 in the Accidental President , A Political Fable for Our Time

The Accidental Senator, Vol 1 in the Accidental President , A... by Dixie Swanson

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, adult-fiction
Recommended to Sara by: Deb
Read from August 03 to 06, 2012

Before Abby's sister, a long-serving Senator, dies, she makes the governor promise to appoint Abby to serve out her term, which comes as a shock to Abby. Abby's actually a doctor but is okay with filling her sister's shoes for the remaining months in her term, as she does well under pressure and thinks she can make her sister proud. Along the way, she learns the tricky political ropes and how to navigate the DC scene, how to make things happen in a land where lots of talking - and sometimes nothing more - is what actually happens, and carefully devours the Constitution and other important political documents in order to make herself as knowledgeable as possible.

It seems like a silly premise at first, but the author did an excellent job making it believable. Though the book started off slowly, it quickly picked up when Abby was appointed to fill her sister's position. I enjoyed Abby's journey learning about the political process and everything else that came with the land. There were so many small details that made the book fascinating: how to look presentable in interviews, answering diplomatic questions, the debate about reading long bills versus knowing the main points of it, and even the way Abby was taught to prepare to just walk down a hall with cameras present! I'm sure a lot of research went into this (either that or a lot of vivid imagination), and it was really these details that kept me hooked.

The story itself was a lot of fun. I was thoroughly entertained throughout. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the way the narration mainly followed Abby's point of view, but every once in a while there was a paragraph or two from someone else's perspective. It didn't always flow and took me out of the set scene. This was mainly noticeable because the book was so well-written and polished otherwise.

This is the first in a trilogy, and I imagine I'll soon be reading the other books in this series. I'd easily recommend this to others looking for a fun read that is about politics without being political. Abby was a likable main character, and I really enjoyed following her journey throughout the book. I'm looking forward to seeing happens in the next books.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidental Senator, Vol 1 in the Accidental President , A Political Fable for Our Time.