Heather's Reviews > The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith

The Book of Mormon Girl by Joanna Brooks

Aug 13, 12

Read from August 09 to 13, 2012

Where to start. Interesting read. I thought I'd relate completely to her, given Im only 2 yrs older than her and overlapped at BYU w/her. I was gone when the "scandals" we're happening. Long gone. I related to her crisis of faith. For similar and different reasons. My reasons for staying are different. Yet similar. My interfaith marriage is very different. Our choices in raising our children are different. My self-imposed liberal Mormon label is definitely true. But we approach things differently.

My teenage experience down the road in Sam Diego was completely different from hers. Mine had less eye-brow raising experiences. I was surprised at some of the things she detailed. Things were much more "normal" in my ward than in hers. Some of the things were odd and I questioned whether she embellished a bit. Otherwise, the people were doing stuff in what I would say is a bit unkosher way. Proving my opinion that the people screw up the gospel. They impose their own thoughts onto others. They are humans who aren't perfect making things "messier" for others. Making "the church" messier. One needs to reach a point where one realizes that the people and the church culture and attitudes are most often a reflection of the people and not the true gospel. Focusing on Christ is the key. And remembering people screw things up. All the time.

That said, it was fun being reminded of the 1985 Dance Festival. I was a part of it, one dance I did being the rock around the clock.

Ok. I could go on as long as her book, effectively writing my own memoir. But this isn't the forum.

Also, she used certain phrases too frequently so could have used better editing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Mormon Girl.

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Hi Heather! I want you to know I ALWAYS read your reviews and comments. I appreciate them immensely! I have two lists...One is book club reads, and another is Heather reads! I wish we lived closer. I know we would be spending gobs of time together. I appreciate your honesty and candidness. You are truly amazing, and I am so glad we are friends. I also remember the dance festival of 1985. It must have been church-wide. It was a lot of fun! As per this book....AMEN. The gospel of Jesus Christ is perfect......WE are NOT. We are all flawed, broken, and, oftentimes, off track. When people put their faith in other people, they become disillusioned and disappointed. When people put their faith in Christ, they are connected with deity and He becomes the healer...the one who will never lead us astray.

Heather Amy, thank you for this!! I sooo agree if we lived closer we'd hang out all the time. We'd be soooo tight!! I always miss you, and when we do see each other, it's even better than the last time! Re this book, and "church" issues in general, what you said is exactly it, even w/regard to high up leadership. When school starts I'm calling and we're catching up! :)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Amen! Looking forward to that call :)