Nicole's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by J.M. Snyder

Aug 09, 12

Recommended for: readers who enjoy slashfic cliches
Read in August, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I wanted to enjoy this story as I like fiction about musicians, and enjoy gay romance and erotica. But I just couldn't get into Ian and Corey as protagonists in this romance at all. I didn't feel like I got to know either character well enough to care about their budding romantic relationship - beyond the fact that they are young, attractive and apparently the hottest pop duo on the planet at the time, what else about them is revealed to the reader? Not much of anything. What are their backstories? Where did they come from? What inspires their music and singing? Do they have any family, and what do they think of them touring the world at 20 and being handled only by bodyguards and a husband and wife management team? None of these questions are answered and it left me feeling like they were just a pair of cyphers, as bland and generic as the kind of pop music I imagine they must sing.

The plot also just felt like a tired slash fanfic cliche of two supposedly straight guys angsting over their love/desire for each other that both are too scared to admit. But they do admit it to each other fairly early on in the book. The rest of the story involves them mostly sharing a same bed, cuddling and "almost" having sex but not doing so for different reasons. First Ian doesn't believe Corey won't just use him and toss him aside like the groupies he constantly used to sleep with. Then Corey won't have sex with Ian one night when Ian gets drunk. It didn't sound like the kind of decisions most 20 year old guys are going to make (since they're usually thinking with their *ahem* other head first, and brain second). I think it would have been much more believable if they'd quickly "done the deed" and then had regrets/doubts to resolve between each other after the fact.

I pushed myself to finish the book simply because it was short and I wanted to give it a fair chance all the way to the end. But I can't say I enjoyed it or would recommend it to others.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.

message 1: by Martyna (new)

Martyna Wow, it really sounds like bad fanfic! Thanks for the warning. ;-)

message 2: by Nicole (last edited Aug 16, 2012 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nicole Martyna wrote: "Wow, it really sounds like bad fanfic! Thanks for the warning. ;-)"

It totally read like bad fanfic to me, yes. Well edited from a grammar/punctuation standpoint, but beyond that? No.

message 3: by Martyna (new)

Martyna Nicole wrote: "Martyna wrote: "Wow, it really sounds like bad fanfic! Thanks for the warning. ;-)"

It totally read like bad fanfic to me, yes. Well edited from a grammar/punctuation standpoint, but beyond that?..."

Would you happen to have any recs for GOOD gay romance with actual developed characters?