Jennifer's Reviews > MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For A New Best Friend

MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012

I was initially drawn to this book because I've relocated a few times as an adult, and each time it took a pretty concerted effort to make new local friends. In my experience, it's definitely not impossible to make friends in a new city (or even country) but it does require a lot of active seeking, a bit of patience, and a certain amount of humility.

The book tended to be pretty repetitive, but at times it also resonated with me. For example, I also took an improv class -- like Rachel -- after moving overseas, in an attempt to meet new people. The fact that we both did improv in an attempt make new friends struck me as odd at first -- but, then again, maybe it's not so surprising, because (short of renting friends or paying for them) she's done a lot of things I've done myself (like joined a book club, for one).

When you move to a new town, and find yourself (relatively) friendless, it can be really hard. In some ways, I do think of this book as a service to new-city transplants -- the author has been there, and she can relate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read MWF Seeking BFF.