Sheila Beaumont's Reviews > The Fear Artist

The Fear Artist by Timothy Hallinan

Aug 10, 12

bookshelves: adult-fiction, mysteries-suspense-thrillers, spies
Read in August, 2012

I've loved the wonderful Poke Rafferty series, set in Bangkok, ever since I read the first book, A Nail Through the Heart. Incredibly, each book in the series seems even better than the previous one! I think this has to do with the ongoing character development, so that we get to know the regular characters and their interrelationships more and more deeply.

In The Fear Artist, the fifth in the series, Poke's wife, Rose, and their adopted daughter, Miaow, who are obviously of utmost importance to him, are offstage during most of the action, but they're never far from his thoughts.

The first-rate characterization, complex stories, great dialogue, constant suspense, occasional comic relief, and beautifully written prose add up to one of the very best contemporary thriller series. Each book stands alone as a story, but it's much better to read the novels in series order, so you can get to know the characters and their background.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fear Artist.

message 1: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Hallinan Thank you, Sheila -- what a nice surprise. Writing the new one now and having the usual difficult time. Something like this reminds me that I actually HAVE managed to finish one of these in the past.

Sheila Beaumont Now I'm 68% of the way through The Four Last Things on my Kindle. Fascinating story, wonderful characters and dialogue!