Christina (Ensconced in Lit)'s Reviews > Girl of Nightmares

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

Aug 07, 2012

Read from August 07 to 08, 2012

I haven't been as excited for a sequel since the Hunger Games. And that's saying something!

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake takes place a few months after Anna Dressed in Blood ends. We rejoin our favorite trio, Cas, Carmel and Thomas as they try to figure out what Hell Anna has disappeared to at the end of the last book. Cas knows it's not a good place, and sees nightmarish visions of what is happening to Anna. His hunt to find her leads them abroad, and on their journey, they meet new friends, new enemies, and new adventures.

Anna Dressed in Blood was probably if not my favorite read of the year, pretty darn close to it. So Girl of Nightmares had a lot to live up to. Just keep in mind as you read this review that I had very high expectations for this book. While still very well written with that same wonderful dark humor and gothic feel, it's not as strong as the first book. The reason I say this is because for most of the book, I am waiting for things to happen, and most of all, waiting for Anna, my favorite character from the last book, to make her grand entrance. Unfortunately, don't expect to see her much in this book. If I had realized that to begin with, I think I might have come away less disappointed.

That said, I still blazed through the book, and I completely love Blake's sense of humor, and I found myself laughing out loud multiple times throughout the book. I love the world she has created, and her female characters still pop with more energy and sass than any other ones I have seen recently. I love the three dimensionality of all the characters. Plus, Anna does get her moment, at last, and I have to say that it was a beautiful reunion.

Blake is super talented, and I know I'll be watching out for her books in the future. This book is still a must read, as it closes the curtain on a story that is properly finished in a worthy climax.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl of Nightmares.

08/07/2012 page 12
4.0% "oh. my. god. I can't believe how excited that the UPS truck just came up with my new copy. I'm only a few pages in and I love it. Can't wait to review this!"
08/08/2012 page 200
60.0% "So I'll admit, my journey with this book so far was kind of like the last harry potter book. Well written but just a lot of waiting around to see what's going to happen. Then halfway through, suddenly things start moving at a rapid pace. I'm hooked. Can't wait to see where the new developments lead."
show 2 hidden updates…