Rosver's Reviews > Adorkable

Adorkable by Sarra Manning

Aug 08, 12

This novel is horrible. Its empty and very hard to read. The biggest fault is in its prose, which is so superfluous and jerky your mind goes all over the place. Added to these are overuse of very faddish icons, ads, songs, lingo, etc. give it a "short lived" feel. Also, the characters are very stereotypical albeit their triteness is hidden by cosmetic complexity. And hidden by its length and false depth, the plot is very basic. This book tells a very simple story but it got lost in all the baggage. Then it ends with a very generic ending.

The Prose, the very messy prose. It is obviously meant to be flashy and interesting but the result is rather distracting and overburdened. Reading through it is very difficult and tiring. Its so overblown. Its written in overuse... almost the only use... of "bitchy" and smart-mouthed... even offensive... language. The whole book seems to be written only in it:

"Not just any girl but Scarlett Thomas, who happened to be Michael Lee’s girlfriend. Not that I held that against her. What I held against her was that she was vapid and had a really annoying voice, which was breathy and babyish and had exactly the same effect on me as someone crunching ice cubes. Scarlett also had long blonde hair, which she spent hours combing, spritzing, primping and tossing so if you stood behind her in the lunch queue there was a good chance you’d get a mouthful of hair."

"‘That’s utter, utter crap and you know it,’ she sneered."

"That wiped the frown off his face. ‘For about the millionth time I didn’t do it on purpose!’ He was managing to talk in complete sentences again."

It would not have been so bad if this is a short story or so where such language is bearable even effective because of the short length, but reading a whole book written this way of people speaking this way is a different matter. Its is way overdone.

The author also seems to like to cram stuff that just bear nothing to the story. It seems things are desperately stuffed into each sentence just to make it longer, you even get 40+ words in a sentence:

"The hipsters and the cool mums and dads with their little offspring called stupid names like Demeter and Minnesota queuing in the freezing cold to get a table for brunch all stared at us as we shouted at each other and I really felt like nothing special then. I was just a stupid girl wearing stupid, mismatched clothes, yelling at a boy who I didn’t match with either."

"Maybe I kissed Jeane because it made her shut the hell up. Or it might have been the easiest way to show her that I wasn’t who she thought I was, that there might actually be some hidden depths to me after all. But I have a really horrible feeling that I kissed her because I wanted to."

These extra baggages are just distracting and makes reading difficult. It also effectively negate the impact of the events, scene, dialogue, description etc. because these extras overtax our attention leaving little of it to use for the important stuff

The book also uses lots of faddish items, lingo, expressions and the like. Not only does it makes understanding such a difficult task, it also mark it as a fad, something that won't last. It would even become undecipherable as this faddish prose might become extinct, and the subtle cultural tones would get lost in future readers.

And even with such length and loaded language the book is written in, the characters are stereotypical almost trite. Jeane is my most hated character. She is vain and self-centred. She might do good things and what not but it is because of her vanity. She wants to appear to be so, because it fits her "adorkable" image, not some altruistic notion. She also is an outsider but then again its because of her vanity. She almost care for nothing but her "dorky" lifestyle. What other think, care or feel she hardly take into account. She often times say things that is sure to hurt people. She also always thin of bad things about people around her. She is the most disagreeable character.

Michael, is a puppet. What he feels and do are dictated by the author. He suddenly liked Jeane even if she is being disagreeable with him. He suddenly like to tweet...her... even if he despised tweeting. He suddenly kissed her when the situation isn't at all inductive to such actions. There are just lots of "suddenly" just for it to be natural. What he do, what he feels, what he thinks the author forced. The author is his puppeteer.

Then the other characters are mainly just props. They are shallow and simple and often times lack any personality. They come and go barely registering into your mind. They are also very easily swayed by the main characters. Jeane especially seems to easily make friends of them or forgiven. They are also puppets.

And the plot, so very simple: boy meets girl, they fall in love, they suddenly fight, then they get back together again. The amazing length the book has gotten into is primarily from lot of unimportant stuff that is crammed into it. The book could easily been trimmed to a quarter of its length.

Then the book ends in a very generic ending. Simple, safe, nothing special. So bland.

And there it is, a very insignificant book that is strenuous to read. It leave me with heavy of disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adorkable.