A.Z. Green's Reviews > The Other Side of Midnight

The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon

This book was absolutely brilliant.

It's the first Sidney Sheldon book I read, handed down to me by my mum. Though this probably wouldn't be something I'd choose from a pile of books initially, but because it was recommended to me I gave it a go. And the blurb did sound intriguing but it didn't do the book justice. It certainly didn't prepare me for what I got.

Noelle and Catherine, the two main female characters were very different and yet very similiar too. They both love the same man, Larry Douglas, though for the life of me I couldn't see why. Sure if I saw him I'd probably be drooling too but his personality can only be defined in these words, 'arrogant, selfish, womanizing jerk.' And then some.

He's a charmer that's for sure and at times he has his 'good guy' moments but seriously ladies, he's NOT worth it.

Noelle was an interesting character but I found reading her parts uncomfortable at times, because I couldn't imagine how someone could do some of the things she did. (view spoiler) And just out of curiosity, was it me or was the moment she found out Larry had betrayed her a little puzzling? I had to read it a few times to work out what the huge discovery had been. He'd gone to a club, instead of meet her. It sounds bad, but not THAT bad (view spoiler)
And yet she has a good heart too. She helps Israel Katz. I liked her a lot then and began to sympathize with her a little more, until she and Larry met up and began plotting their evil scheme. And then I sympathized with her again at the end.

Catherine is my kind of girl. Sure she messes up, but she's funny and cracks jokes to cover up her errors and embarrassment. Her clumsiness is cute and she's quite graceful about it. Plus she has confidence issues (like Noelle, but different) which Sidney (Who I had at first thought was a female author) portrayed beautifully. Especially for a man writing about every woman's lack of self-confidence whether to do with their body like Catherine, or sense of worth like Noelle.
Catherine made me laugh a lot, especially when she finally gets the chance to lose the big V and has a severe case of thought-to-mouth-vomit. Love her! And I found myself much closer to her than anyone else throughout the book. I like her fella too.

The plot was well thought out, even though it had a lot in it, I couldn't put it down. It was informative but not longwinded. When it was fast paced it didn't draw it away from the emotions and the plot, when it was slow paced it merely increased the suspense and the urge to know more.

After reading only one book Sheldon is the Man, to me anyway. I will continue to give his books a chance even if they don't match up to this one. It'll be pretty hard to do that so I won't blame him if he doesn't. :D

5 out of 5 stars for me. And I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. I hope it isn't one of those series that makes me think he should have kept it as one book. We shall see.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of Midnight.

Quotes A.Z. Liked

Sidney Sheldon
“To be successful you need friends and to be very successful you need enemies.”
Sidney Sheldon, The Other Side of Midnight

Sidney Sheldon
“If you don't know why,I could never explain it to you.”
Sidney Sheldon, The Other Side of Midnight