Amy's Reviews > All Summer Long

All Summer Long by Susan Mallery

Aug 07, 12

I can say what I want about this book since I was not given a copy of it in exchange for regurgitating the plot as printed on the back cover. Sorry, I just prefer to read reviews where people express their opinions about the plot, characters, etc and not give a synopsis that is available on goodreads.

That being said, I really liked this book. There was a moment when the cheese factor threatened to overwhelm me, but I came back from it enjoying the main characters immensely. Charlie and Clay were likable people. You wanted them to be happy because of all they had been through, but they weren't damaged and bitter. They were open to finding happiness and willing to let go of their painful pasts. I liked the overall message of love developing over time and not judging a person by what is on the outside. Too many romance novels focus on love at first sight between gorgeous people. It was a nice change of pace to see love come from friendship and respect.

The only slightly annoying thing about this series is the description of how friendly the town people act. They behave like they had one too many kool-aid red bull cocktails. It seems moderately Stepford/cultish. I could do without the detailed descriptions of all the casseroles they make or what the lunch specials (available grilled or fried) are at the local bar. At least we didn't have a girlfriend margarita party in this book, but there was a football party with a complete menu description. Gee, people serve nachos at football parties? Regardless of the lifetime movie networkness of the town, I did enjoy this installment better than the previous two and will wait patiently (???) for the next one.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Summer Long.