Cory Skelton's Reviews > The Neverending Story

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

U_50x66
Aug 07, 12

Read in August, 2012

I was first introduced to "The Neverending Story" as a child of maybe eight or nine. My grandma and mother rented the first movie from the library and let me watch it. I was enamored. This movie captured my imagination and fueled my thirst for fantasy that was heavily developing around this time. And then -- lo and behold -- I'm told it's based on a BOOK! It took a couple of tries but we found a library that had the only copy available in the county. I devoured it, and it became my favorite childhood book...from before the days of "Harry Potter".

Rereading this this month, I am astounded I haven't had read this in the past four or five years, at least. It's still absolutely magical. In fact, even more so now that I'm an adult and can better read between the lines.

Our story starts in our world. A fat little boy of about ten, Bastian Balthazar Bux, hides in a bookstore from school bullies. He finds a mysterious book called The Neverending Story. He steals it and runs away to school, where he hides in the attic to read this book. He reads of a world called Fantastica, a place made of all the wishes and dreams of humans in the real world. Fantastica is in danger from a menacing force called The Nothing, which is slowly consuming the empire. The leader of Fantastica, the Childlike Empress, sends a young boy named Atreyu on a quest to save her and Fantastica. In the real world, Bastian begins to realize that what he's reading is not an ordinary book...

One of the best fantasy novels I've ever read, The Neverending Story is highly recommended. Let it absorb you and sweep you away into a world where wishes are the stuff reality is made of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neverending Story.