Ami's Reviews > In Search of Saints

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: mm-contemporary, mm-romance-or-erotica
Recommended to Ami by: Vio
Read on August 13, 2012

I think I've found the key to enjoying Harper Fox's stories ... the short ones *lol*. I remember loving the previous short that she released (All Roads Lead To You) and this one is no different.

I love the moody and rainswept background (I love rain, I can't help it). While Mitchell comes up in the beginning as a bastard for treating Owen wrongly, but I never feel like Owen is a doormat to him. In fact, Owen is the one who practically knocks some sense into Mitchell, even if he is doing it in a low-key. Without shouting, without pushing, without whining...

I love the contrast of both men. Lewis might be the beautiful intellectual royalty but Owen is the steady rock. Mitchell thinks Owen as "earthly", as "ordinary" -- but in his earthly and ordinary attitude, Owen offers the steady ground for Mitchell to stand tall, and fight for his right of the research against the manipulative Lewis.

There is no groveling from Mitchell's part -- but I don't mind because when he gets his revelation that Owen is the best thing that has happened to him, and that he loves Owen, THAT part is brilliant and moving and well, gives me all fuzzy feelings of course :)

And the magical tone, while both men are searching for the Saints (mysterious carved stones of a shadowy pre-Celtic culture), it adds a beautiful eerie nuance to the whole story. I love it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Search of Saints.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ami (last edited Aug 07, 2012 02:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Note to Self: 8 August 2012
Better wait till somebody read this first. Especially since Harper Fox's writing always makes me struggle to read it.

message 2: by Vio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vio Heh!

message 3: by Edina (new) - added it

Edina Rose Same here, Ami.

message 4: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Any volunteers? Vio? :D

Natalie I'll take one for the team. I [usually] love Harper Fox and I'm looking for something shortish to read tonight.

message 6: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Natalie wrote: "I'll take one for the team. I [usually] love Harper Fox and I'm looking for something shortish to read tonight."

Thank you, Natalie . I do request your reviews to note her writing in this one, please. It always exhausts me when I start reading hers, her language is sometimes too intricated for me to completely enjoy.

message 7: by Vio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vio I will read it after Natalie lol!

Natalie OK, my review is up. I had some issues with it. You may want to try a sample first before committing to a purchase. The writing was typical for this author, I think. I usually like her stuff (I loved Scrap Metal and Life After Joe), so the dense writing style didn't bother me.

message 9: by Vio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vio I liked it a lot!

message 10: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami i need more that that, Vio, you need to write the reasons for liking it a lot :-)

message 11: by Vio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vio Ami wrote: "i need more that that, Vio, you need to write the reasons for liking it a lot :-)"

I will later, but I have the feeling you won't lol!

message 12: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami So Natalie's opinion is "better" for me to make the decision? *grin*

message 13: by Vio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vio Ami wrote: "So Natalie's opinion is "better" for me to make the decision? *grin*"

Yep I think so.....

message 14: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Vio wrote: "Ami wrote: "So Natalie's opinion is "better" for me to make the decision? *grin*"

Yep I think so....."

Read it (I have nothing else to read). Ended up loving it *lol*

message 15: by Vio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vio See I got that wrong lol.....