Kim's Reviews > There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales

There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby by Lyudmila Petrushevskaya

Aug 30, 12

Read from August 07 to 24, 2012

This collection of short stories, moral tales and fairy tales mostly caught my attention because of the Russian theme. I have a particular love for Old Russian culture and this seemed like a good way to go about learning more.

Some of the stories were not that great. They simply didn't interest me and it was a bit of a chore to get through them. However, some of the stories were told masterfully, very compelling and some even gave you that 'ooOOooh!' sensation at the end of being pleasantly surprised at an unexpected revelation.

All the stories gave a great sense of atmosphere, however. I could picture everything very clearly in my mind, even with some of the skilfully sparse description provided. More opulent detail wasn't needed, so in that way, the book succeeded.

It was worth a read. The most interesting thing about the book, however, was the author's own story and how the book came to be published at all.

I'd say it's worth a read for those who have an interest in short stories, Russian tales or modern fairy tales, but apart from that, it probably wouldn't leave too large a gap on your bookshelf.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby.

08/07/2012 page 61