Aaron's Reviews > I, Michael Bennett

I, Michael Bennett by James Patterson

1196851
Aug 07, 12

Read in August, 2012

This was the first time I have been disappointed by one of Patterson's books that starts Michael Bennett. It seems are hero is joining arrogant Alex Cross in not really caring about proper procedures or how his rash actions will affect those around him. Bennett is pulled into a major case when the FBI and DEA work with the NYPD to target Perrine, one of the biggest drug lords in America. Perrine is coming to America for some mysterious reason, and if the officials can bring him down, they might help clean up a lot of the crime that is related to the drug industry.

As you can guess, things go terribly wrong and three cops, including good friend and FBI agent Hughie McDonough is killed during the mission. Bennett takes it on as a personal mission (along with Hughie's cousin and Bennett's past lover Tara McLellan) to take down Perrine. The one good thing is that the drug lord is arrested during the mission. The only problem is that Perrine has opted to use drug cartel tactics against American officials. The result is dead judges, police officers, witnesses, and endangered family members.

Bennett even tries to bring his brood of 10 children, nanny (and not-quite girlfriend) Mary Catherine, and grandfather to a family vacation near Newburgh, New York, only to find that the drug situation follows them.

My big problem is that the hero is not supposed to be out for vengeance. He is supposed to be an agent of justice and peace. I really hate it when they sacrifice the hero's ethics and make him no better than the villains, which is really what has really happened here.

I hope they bring back the usual fun and ethical Bennett in the next book, though, I have a feeling that might not happen because the book seems to just sort of stop without really resolving the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I, Michael Bennett.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shaun Jennings Agree, the first disappointment in the series.