Sarah5's Reviews > The Time Keeper

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

Aug 07, 12

This is the new novel from the writer of ‘The Five People you meet in Heaven’ and is an interesting story based around the character of ‘Father Time.’ In the novel, which is written in the style of a fable, Dor is fascinated by counting and measuring time and becomes the first person on earth to do so, essentially invented the ‘clock’ and time itself. The Gods, angered by this, banish him from the Earth to a cave where he lives with immorality and where he is able to philosophise about life and time.
Woven into this narrative are two characters in modern time. Sarah, who is suicidal and wants too little time and Victor, a terminally ill man who wants more time. To help Dor overcome his own issues, he must first help these two characters wrestle with their own.
This is a moving tale and to me, reminiscent of Paulho Coehlo and ‘The Alchemist.’ It did feel religious at times, but the morals and philosophical thoughts could be applied to anyone. Essentially the main theme of the novel is to enjoy every day as time is short and precious. It also illustrates how we shouldn’t take things or people for granted. This didn’t feel like preaching but more a gentle reminder within a very gripping story. I found the story of Sarah the most interesting, a girl who struggled with being accepted at High School and the difficulties teenagers can have when they feel they don’t fit in.
It’s a short novel so a quick read but one I would definitely revisit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Keeper.