Sheena at Hot Eats and Cool Reads's Reviews > Detroit City Is the Place to Be: The Afterlife of an American Metropolis

Detroit City Is the Place to Be by Mark Binelli

Nov 08, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, i-own, aa-and-urban, non-fiction, favorites, historical
Read from October 30 to November 08, 2012

I was super excited when I found out that I won this book from First Reads on Goodreads. Detroit City is the Place to Be, is a great title for this book. It describes how I feel about the city perfectly. I had the chance to go to Detroit with my sister Shannon, in the summer of 2011. We visited the Heidelberg Project, met Tyree Guyton, saw Michigan Central Station, and even ate at an awesome artisan deli in Corktown, called Mudgie's. These are just a few places that makes Detroit, the amazing city it is today and in the future!

This book describes Detroit's history, it's people and what might happen in the future. It mentions true crime stories, info about the failed auto industry, describes various structures and neighborhoods, and corruption within the city government. The descriptions about the city landscape are very accurate and real, even though you really have no idea what's it's like until you see the city with your own two eyes. The author did a fantastic job researching and writing this book and I was hooked from page one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Detroit City Is the Place to Be.

10/31/2012 page 30
8.0% "This is a GREAT book so far! So many interesting facts about Detroit!"
show 1 hidden update…