Carrie's Reviews > A Long Way Down

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

Nov 25, 08

Read in August, 2005, read count: 1

Dear Nick Hornby,

I am having mixed feelings about you right now. I just finished listening to your recent release and enjoyed it very much. The story about 4 very different people who meet on the roof of a building where they planned to commit suicide is great. It was enthralling to find out how they all interact with each other, and what happens to them when they decide to leave the roof rather than jump that night. I love the "90 day" idea, especially. I was addicted to this book, and barely listened to music or news when I was in my car because I wanted to find out what would happen next.

After finishing the book, though, I was angry to learn that you think adults who read Harry Potter are lazy. I take it you consider your fiction much more "grown up" and would prefer that people spend money on you, not Ms. Rowling. Because of this, I am not sure I will find the energy in me to read another book of yours. My lazy self is much more addicted to the wonders of the Potter world. Shame on you, Mr. Hornby.

Sincerely,
Me

P.S. I wrote the above letter in 2005 when I first listened to the audio book. I would be interested to know if Mr. Hornby still feels the same after publishing his own YA novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long Way Down.