Margaret's Reviews > World Without End

World Without End by Ken Follett

F_50x66
Nov 25, 08

bookshelves: audio-books
Recommended for: historical / medieval novel fans
Read in November, 2008

A pretty darn good book - you laugh, you're horrified, the whole gamut - but what makes this a truly amazing "read" is the audio recording by John Lee, who is also the reader of Penguin Audio's recording of "Pillars of the Earth." Both recordings are well worth the time commitment to listen to 30+ (unabridged) CD's - I walked around and drove everywhere with my headphones on listening to both of these amazing books.

"World Without End" is a continuation of the Kingsbridge story begun in "Pillars of the Earth," this time ~200 years later, and while there are "we, the reader, know the background" references to past persons and events from "Pillars," I don't think reading that book is necessary to enjoying "WWE." That said, by all means read (or, better, listen) to both books - they're worth it.

Ken Follett clearly is interested in the human condition and divides the world into Good Guys and Bad (really Bad) Guys, and the constant wars and jockeying between them. "WWE" admittedly retreads themes and plot devices that Mr. Follett uses in "Pillars of the Earth," but who cares - he's really good at spinning tales. People come alive, vividly, through Mr. Lee's voice, and I'm constantly amazed at his ability to sort through so many people and have each person possess their own unique voice. Yes, the boxed audio set is pricey, but for those who love classic audio books, it's a good investment; or simply check it out from the library (what I did...).

It helps to have at least some knowledge of the Plantagenet rulers and what was going on with British royalty at the time - perusal of Encyclopedia entries should do it.

"WWE" takes place during the early and middle years of Edward III's reign. For an interesting historical novel take on events during the final year's of his long reign (1300's), I recommend "Katherine" by Anya Seton.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World Without End.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Freeman I too listened to it on audio, waiting two weeks between the first set and second set just to continue hearing it in the narrator's voice! Loved it that way!

MaryJohanna Count me as another John Lee fan!
His narration is the only reason I got through this story... I'll listen to almost anything he reads me!