Tamara's Reviews > When God Was a Rabbit

When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman

Oct 07, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in October, 2012

A fairly quiet book that had a way of injecting small jolts of suspense to keep me turning the page.

Brothers and sisters, childhood friends and unspoken unspeakables. Somehow, it worked.

Side note: It's such a relief that people can write books with lovely gay characters without having to explain that they're gay and spend the whole book defending it. Progress is a wonderful thing.

Side note #2: I'm not on board with authors injecting a 9/11 theme where it has no place. Not cool.

Favorite Quotes

...although it was keeping the cold at bay, I felt it was simply because the cold stopped as it approached me and burst into laughter, rather than by any practical means. [About an ugly coat...]

[All of page 75. Two friends are singing Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of their lungs to try to drown out the sound of the girl's mother embarrassing herself. Extremely well crafted.]

I strode across the lawn rudely disturbing the frost and entered the forest like the early morning sun, so maddeningly awake.

I looked out onto the lawn thinking that it was covered by a thick layer of snow, but it was actually mist and I could see it rolling up the river valley like white tumbleweed.

...where hills fell into the sea in gestures of despair.

It was strange, both vital and flawed, until I realized that maybe the need to be remembered is stronger than the need to remember.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When God Was a Rabbit.

message 1: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie Oh! I had this checked out once and it lived in my "to read" pile until it was overdue. I think I will check it out again.