Meagan's Reviews > Disaster Preparedness: A Memoir

1019655
Jan 14, 13

Read from August 07 to 11, 2012

3.5

Havrilesky's essays are honest and interesting and work in a sort of haphazard way. What at first may seem like a bunch of slightly unrelated tidbits and short tales all tie together in the end to work toward one greater meaning or concept. This goes for both individual essays and for the entirety of the book.

The essays presented here take us from childhood and all the things that scared or concerned her to her adulthood and how she has come to cope or not cope. From hearing her parents fight as a kid to losing her virginity to trying to make sense of her own life as a mom, Havrilesky isn't afraid to cover anything and often does so in an amusing and honest way.

Given the steadfast (though successful) pattern of her writing, one or two essays may seem to ramble on a bit long or make you sigh and think "I've got it already," but I think this is partly due to an attempt to read the book straight through instead of stopping to contemplate between each piece.

Overall a good read and an amusingly real outlook on life and all that frightens or concerns us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disaster Preparedness.