Elizabeth's Reviews > Sabbath in the Suburbs

Sabbath in the Suburbs by MaryAnn McKibben Dana

F_50x66
Sep 30, 12

Read in September, 2012

I have stacks of books about Sabbath on my bookshelf. As a Christian, I want to better observe the commandment to keep the Sabbath holy; but more than that, as a parent, a working person, a wife, a friend, a technology addict, etc., I long for a different speed of life than the frenetic non-stop sleep-too-little do-too-much pace that has become so prevalent these days. But none of the other books I've read have been nearly as helpful as Sabbath in the Suburbs.

Other books I've read have offered beautiful theology or philosophy on Sabbath-keeping, but no practical advice. Or they've offered Sabbath practices at which I have failed miserably. After reading these others, Sabbath has seemed like an impossible feat, the holy grail for which everyone is searching but which only a chosen few will actually find.

Dana's book is a welcome reprieve from the usual highbrow how-to's: it is beautiful, insightful, and spiritual, but also delightfully down-to-earth. She is the first author I've encountered who is able to make sabbath seem not only desirable but also possible and even fun. Sabbath in the Suburbs is for real people in real life who want to experience life to its fullest without missing huge chunks of beauty because they are too busy. The writing is easy and clear, the characters (Dana's own family) are lovable and warm, and the advice on sabbath-keeping is honest, gentle, and easy-to-receive. This is a book I will share again and again, one which has the potential to change lives for the better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sabbath in the Suburbs.