Teresa's Reviews > Giovanni's Room

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
541416
's review
Aug 10, 12

Recommended to Teresa by: Cathrine
Read in August, 2012

4.5

I remember being impressed with Baldwin's first novel, Go Tell it on the Mountain, but I am even more impressed with how much his style grew with this, his second novel. The story is told in simple, beautiful, insightful, self-assured prose. The metaphors (caverns, tunnels, rooms, windows, doors) are exceptional as well.
8 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giovanni's Room.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cathrine So glad you liked it :-)
I hope to read GTITTM ;-) soon
Love


Schmacko One of my favorites!


Teresa I can see why, and I could read it again. It reminded me of something else, though I haven't been able to put my finger on what that something else might be. Perhaps it's just a case of literary deja vu.


Schmacko The sort of struggles he goes through are also the emotional struggles Ennis in Brokeback Mountain goes through.


Teresa Schmacko wrote: "The sort of struggles he goes through are also the emotional struggles Ennis in Brokeback Mountain goes through."

True, perhaps that's it, though the style and milieu are very different.


message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia I keep meaning to read more Baldwin. You're inpiring me T.

I'm reading 'unflinching gaze' which is a group of lecture comparing Toni Morrison and William Faulkner. WOW! They both really looked/look at a lot of taboo topics. I'm also listening and reading 'absalom, absalom'. Such beautiful words, such depravity.


Teresa Cynthia wrote: "I keep meaning to read more Baldwin. You're inpiring me T.

I'm reading 'unflinching gaze' which is a group of lecture comparing Toni Morrison and William Faulkner. WOW! They both really looked/..."


I plan on reading more by him, C.

Sounds great! All of it.


message 8: by Merilee (new)

Merilee Isn't this the one which made it clear that Baldwin was gay, which was very brave at the time?


Teresa Merilee wrote: "Isn't this the one which made it clear that Baldwin was gay, which was very brave at the time?"

It is about a gay relationship. Not sure that it made it clear that Baldwin himself was gay or not, but, regardless, yes, I think tackling the subject matter at that time was considered brave.


message 10: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I have yet to read Baldwin...another deficient area. I'm glad you mention him now. I'm going to put him in my reading calendar.


Teresa Sue wrote: "I have yet to read Baldwin...another deficient area. I'm glad you mention him now. I'm going to put him in my reading calendar."

I'm sure you will like him, Sue. (And his first 2 books, at least, aren't long, so they wouldn't take up too much time in your schedule.) :)

Since I've read his first 2 books, I hope to read his 3rd fairly soon.


message 12: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I'm impressed with your reading lately. I'm hoping to get back in the swing of it soon.


Teresa Sue wrote: "I'm impressed with your reading lately."

Thanks, Sue. I appreciate that, esp since I've been feeling the opposite. :)


message 14: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I think we all have high expectations for ourselves.


back to top