Andrew's Reviews > Prepare

Prepare by Geoffrey Germann

Aug 07, 2012

bookshelves: giveaways-from-other-sources
Read from August 07 to 14, 2012

What would you get if you took a graphic novel about a novice superhero and replaced the artwork with prose? One possible answer: "Prepare", the recent novel by Geoffrey Germann.

All of the things that one would like most about a comic book superhero are here - motivation, origin, power, etc. - grounded in a realistic setting (although never actually narrowed to a real-life location - which I suspect was intentional on the part of the author. Los Angeles, which was my first choice? New York? Detroit? ANY large city?)

Some of other aspects common to comics are also present. For example, the leaving of sufficient dangling threads to entice readers to the next edition - in this case, the next novel which is due in 2013. (BUT - with a distinct feeling that this book stood alone in its own right, with a decent introduction and conclusion sandwiching enough conflict to keep readers' attention and a distinct climax - which felt a bit "rushed" to me, like the author realized he was at risk of bumping against a 300 page limit or something!)

What wasn't present? The words "super", or even "hero" (maybe that one was used in passing). What also wasn't present - a super-powered arch-enemy. The gang that constituted the opposition more than made up for this, unless you absolutely have to have a Joker to your Batman, a Doctor Doom to your Fantastic Four, etc. etc.

There will be a sequel in 2013: "Surgical". I am looking forward to reading a copy of that once it is released.

DISCLOSURE: I was provided a free copy of this novel in return for promising to write and post a review - no commitments regarding the favorability or negativity of that review were requested nor provided.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prepare.

08/13/2012 page 212