Arturo's Reviews > Fourth Mansions

Fourth Mansions by R.A. Lafferty
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fourth Mansions.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jared (new)

Jared That cover is excellent.

Arturo Think I found it for cheap on the street. Book is great. Lots of mythological overtones not unlike Valis Trilogy but I like Lafferty's writing style more than PKD (has more of an absurdist bent). His books seem tough to find but I highly recommend his book of short stories called "Nine Hundred Grandmothers."

message 3: by Jared (new)

Jared I haven't read a lot of PKD, and while I like what I have read, his writing is kinda clunky. Seems like he was heralded more for his ideas than his prose.

Arturo I've read a good amount and I'm a fan but I think PKD is someone who writes good & great stories/books as opposed to being a great writer. People like R.A. Lafferty, Alfred Bester, Olaf Stapledon and a few others within sci fi genre that I've read are much better writers.

message 5: by D. (new) - added it

D. Stewart Amphetamines and paranoia. Funnily, he's also about as inconsistent and brilliant as Lou.

Arturo I find his take on spirituality the most interesting aspect of his work. Big fan of the Valis Trilogy and you can tell how obsessive he became with weird religious history and details and things like gnosticism etc.
This is also why I really like the "What If Our World Was Their Heaven?" interview book. He discusses his religious experience and the interest he developed in an intelligent way.

message 7: by D. (new) - added it

D. Stewart Great book. He was an articulate speaker - any interview is worth reading.