Mary's Reviews > Sea Glass

Sea Glass by Anita Shreve

Aug 07, 12

bookshelves: my-library, 1990-2009, 96-100, bookmooch, historical-fiction, paperback
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Recommended for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Read from August 04 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

It is a house on the beach that Honora doesn't mind renting. Despite its age and all its flaws, the old house is the perfect place to start off a new marriage. She and her husband, Sexton, throw themselves into fixing it up, just as they throw themselves into their new life together. While Honora fixes up the derelict house and searches for sea glass on the beach, Sexton risks everything they have to buy the house they both love.

Along with the entire population of America, Sexton is blindsided by the stock market crash of 1929 and finds himself penniless. The only work that he is able to find is in the local mill, where a labor dispute is erupting into violence. As their financial pressures continue to mount, Honora begins to see how little she actually knows about this man that she has married.

I think this was a wonderful book - I really found myself caring about the characters, and the plot was very believable to me. I give this book an A+! and will keep it for a while to reread at some point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Glass.