Pascale's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

Aug 07, 12

Read in October, 2011

A convoluted detective story with good character development. But beyond that, the thing that lingers on long after finishing one of Kate Atkinson’s books is a feeling of ravished enchantment, the fuzzy memory of something very enjoyable yet imprecise.
I remember I absolutely LOVED Behind the Scenes at the Museum, as well as several of her other books, but can’t or the life of me recall what they were about, just that once I enter into her world, I invariably start to think of Agatha Christie’s England of tea and buttered scones, or the early Genesis album Selling England by the Pound and its quaint imagery...
As an example, here is a great paragraph from this book (p. 133):
Tracey wondered if her own parents would have been willing to sacrifice themselves to save her. Her mother had lingered on after Tracy’s father died and in her final days gave the impression that she wasn’t going unless she could take Tracy down with her. Her mother had the DNA of a scorpion, built to outlast a nuclear winter. The cancer got her in the end, though. Nobody lasted forever, not even Dorothy Waterhouse. The diamonds and the cockroaches were free to inherit the earth now that she was gone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.