Manny's Reviews > The House at Pooh Corner

The House at Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: children, strongly-recommended, well-i-think-its-funny, story-review, flagged
Read in January, 1965, read count: 10

Winnie the Pooh and the Cocktail Party

"Hi. I'm Vikki. Sorry, what did you say your name was? So noisy in here you can't hear a thing. Ed. Got it. Nice to meet you, Ed! What? Oh, I'm a model. Glamor. Thanks! Well, if you've walked past the men's magazine section this week, then you will have. Front cover of Loaded. Really? Hey, that's sweet. No, I mean it. You're really nice. Oh, alright then. Would you believe it, stockings and a honey-pot. That was it. Yes, I do actually. Love it. Have it for breakfast every morning. Guess that's why the shot came out so well. Me and a honey-pot... I didn't even notice the camera. I know, it sounds silly. Yes, the runny kind, that's my favorite too. Get out! Really? OK, OK, let's hear your honey story. Sorry? You actually climbed up the tree to get it? That's awesome. OMG. What, how high were you? Jesus Christ. You didn't break anything? You know, you're a lot tougher than you look. I love the way you said that. Can't stand these macho types. Oh, go on, tell me another one. OK... OK... a what trap? A Hefner lump? Sorry, just too noisy. Never mind, what happened next? Hey, I do that too! I know, once you've started you just can't stop. You're the first person I've ever met who understands. You what?? You actually got your head stuck in it?! Ha! Oh, you are totally cracking me up, I love this story! Ha! Ha! I'm sorry about your friend though, I hope he recovered. It's funny, I just feel so relaxed with you. It's like I've known you for ages. Since I was a little girl in fact. Oh, I see everyone's starting to leave. Look, I know this sounds crazy, like we've only just met and I'll probably regret it in the morning, but come home with me. Um, well, yes and no. I just... I just want to hold you. All night. You do? You really do understand? Ed, I can't believe this. It feels like fate. I'm so happy I met you. OK, let me get my coat. We're outta here."

___________________________________________

If you want to examine the magazine cover which inspired the review, note that, as the review suggests, it's in dubious taste, and features a mostly naked woman. If that kind of thing offends you, don't look at it! Otherwise, it's at http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/ar...

29 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at Pooh Corner.

message 51: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I'm just writing something here so I can follow this fascinating exchange.
I feel lucky that I caught the image when it was posted and so was able to stumble upon her (whoever she was/is) in her full glory, honey pot and all.

message 52: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Well done, Manny...we all knew you were a rare breed.

message 53: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 28, 2009 03:01PM) (new)

Seriously, I knew that picture would be yanked (so to speak) the moment I saw it... The only question in my mind was how long it would take. (C'mon, honestly, Manny... Did you really think that picture wouldn't be taken down?)

If any of you think this is surprising or outrageous, consider three of the pictures I have had removed in my time on Goodreads...

1. Once I posted a picture of a college student vomiting as a biting but entirely affectionate commentary on brian's review of On Chesil Beach. It was removed within 24 hours without comment.

[image error]

3. Another picture I posted was of a man mooning the camera on a boat. He had, I must confess, a conspicuously hairy ass... (The editorial decision to remove this photo was less troubling and surprising than the first two though. It really was a disgusting photo.)

Let me be honest here. I believe in the Goodreads staff's right to delete whatever they want. This isn't the government; it's a private company, after all. (Of course I also believe in users' rights to boycott companies whose policies they believe are wrong or unfair.)

And I also believe that the Goodreads staff is a HELLUVA LOT more tolerant than most other traditional websites are of some of the shit that goes on here. (I can say that because I've been responsible for a not insignificant amount of the aforementioned shit myself.)

What's my point?

I ferget.

message 54: by Jessica (new)

Jessica ha David, I love your nonpoint mit visual (can't say I love the visual, but it's...striking and illustrative). you're adding to the discussion. thanks.

message 55: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Apr 28, 2009 04:17PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio David wrote: "2. Another time (and even more shocking in a way), I posted a picture of four obese women in bikinis. I'll post it below because I still don't believe it's offensive. It vanished as quickly as a man testifying against the mob. And I think that Goodreads' removal of the picture was especially questionable because seriously now... would they have removed a picture of four thinner, non-provocatively posed women in bikinis? I can't say for sure, but I doubt it.

"

Let's find out:

[image error]

message 56: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 28, 2009 03:10PM) (new)

MFSO, I like the idea -- and numbers 1 and 4 specifically -- but a more reliable test would probably need to be conducted someplace where there's not a discussion of picture removals going on.

Go post your bikini picture on a review of Charlotte's Web. That can be our control for this experiment. (Goodreads Jessica, pretend you're not reading any of this.)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Haha! That would be funny if all I posted as a review of Charlotte's Web was that. I'll consider it.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio P.S. That was the first picture to show up in a Google image search of "four women in bikinis." Whaddya know?

message 59: by Ben (last edited May 01, 2009 04:15PM) (new)

Ben Piglet has Swine Flu?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

message 60: by Jessica (new)

Jessica oh Ben.
poor Piglet.

Manny I felt a bit unchivalrous about the way that I'd used Vikki Blows in this review. I wondered later if that had been entirely right. I looked around a little, and found she was on MySpace. I joined, and sent her a friend request, with a link to the article. She accepted!

She says on her home page that she's very shy, and not at all like you think she is. Maybe I wasn't so far off target.

message 62: by Jessica (new)

Jessica you're such a mensch, Manny!

;-)

Manny Thank you :) Though, before people start speculating wildly, I should say that there has so been NO communication beyond me sending her the friend request, and her accepting. For all I know, she accepts all her friend requests without reading them. But it still felt nice that she did that.

message 64: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen But speculating wildly does come so easy, and since her pic is so very naked and her personality is so very shy, there is a mystery here. :)

Manny Well, performers often have a private personality and a public personality. I'm sure I don't know!

message 66: by Ian (last edited Mar 24, 2011 12:49AM) (new)

Ian Gabogovinanana Manny, I only read this today and I thought it was brilliant.
I love the way you can infer what the other participant is saying.
As far as I can tell, the original link still works, and I don't know what has been edited or censored. (I'm assuming the photo was already edited by Loaded.)
I have now read the review twice and viewed the link 174 times, and each time my appreciation of the review benefited from the experience.
I don't think people have been fair in their assessment of the girl concerned.
I always reserve judgment on someone of the apposite sex until the following morning.
Be gentle with her.
She might even be a GR member.
I mean someone just called me honeybee on another thread.
I guess I shouldn't assume that people are talking about the weather if they say they don't mind a light drizzle every now and again.

Manny Thank you!

I agree, the picture is a very fine example of that particular genre, and, at least judging from her website, the fragrant Ms Blows seems to be a nice girl at heart.

She might even be a GR member.

If you didn't notice comment #68, I sent her the link ages ago. I never got a reply, but my guess is that she has more fan-mail than she can be bothered to deal with.

message 68: by Ian (new)

Ian Gabogovinanana Manny wrote: "If you didn't notice comment #68, I sent her the link ages ago."
Ha ha. I obviously stopped reading about #62, I think my sensory system went into OverLoaded.
I didn't even read the captions for #66.
I think we have to conspire to reserve message #69 for something scandalous in the future.

message 69: by MeNeither (new)

MeNeither You are friend of this lady? Tell her I have special job for her, nice job for girls like her who have proper shaped breasts and are nice to boys like she is. All girls should have proper shaped breasts now, no need for them to be like before. All girls could learn from your nice friend.

It's better if girls have breasts in shape boys like. They like balls. Hockey balls, very nice.

It is good job and pays $6 an hour. Better than Mecahnical Turk and she wouldn't have to think at all. Better for girls if they don't have to think. Better if they get job where they just have to be nice to boys. Now I am going to show all the girls who work for me that they should be more like your friend. Excuse me.

message 70: by Ian (new)

Ian Gabogovinanana MeNeither wrote on his profile: "At the moment I find myself forced to lay low - hence my current address."
We're awake up to you, Mariel.

message 71: by Ian (new)

Ian Gabogovinanana Ian wrote: "MeNeither wrote on his profile: "At the moment I find myself forced to lay low - hence my current address."
We're awake up to you, Mariel."

Egeshegedre my Hungarian brother!

message 72: by Manny (last edited Mar 24, 2011 12:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Manny Mr Neither, I understand your sleazy insinuations. Ms Blows assures us that she is 100% natural, and I am happy to accept the word of a lady. You should be ashamed of yourself.

message 73: by MeNeither (new)

MeNeither Manny wrote: "Mr Neither, I understand your sleazy insinuations. Ms Blows assures us that she is 100% natural, and I am happy to accept the word of a lady. You should be ashamed of yourself."

Of course she is natural and a lady. I am Hungarian businessman and not sleazy insinuator. Surely it would be better if all girls are more like this. She is upstanding example to women everywhere.

Anybody criticising her would be probably middleaged woman, not getting enough sex, bitter that girls like your friend find it easy. They are type of women who don't understand how to make men happy, so they don't get enough sex and make other people to blame. Society. Nice men's magazines that have artistic pictures of nice girls like your friend. Men appreciating good girls. Women like that? Pah. They deserve everything they don't get. Ha ha ha. It would be jealous girls who don't have lovely natural breasts and don't understand how easy it is to make them now who don't like girls like this.

You and me, Manny. We appreciate the right sort of girls. I am on your side in this regard.

message 74: by Ian (last edited Mar 24, 2011 01:44AM) (new)

Ian Gabogovinanana MeNeither wrote: "Surely it would be better if all girls are more like this. "

OK, I mean sorry, 175 times now.

Manny Mr Neither, you are, how shall I put it, no gentleman.

message 76: by Nusaybah (new)

Nusaybah Outstanding! I actually felt (and could hear and see) like I was at the party!

message 77: by Nusaybah (new)

Nusaybah Oh... and about that magazine cover... wow! wwwwwooooowwww! wow!

Manny Nusaybah, it's so nice to meet someone else who appreciates both Mr Edward Bear and Ms Vikki Blows.

message 79: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Hysterical!!!

message 80: by Nandakishore (new)

Nandakishore Varma This one is more obscene than Paul's review.

Poor Pooh. Manny, you blackguard!!!

BTW, I'm not sure whether it borders on pedophilia...

Manny Excuse me, arctophilia. Where is your Greek, sir?

Manny Thank you Catherine. I see you understand. So many people don't.

message 83: by Nandakishore (last edited Apr 20, 2015 01:59AM) (new)

Nandakishore Varma Manny wrote: "Excuse me, arctophilia. Where is your Greek, sir?"

Hmmm. If I can only be sure that it's only about "collecting" Teddy Bears...

message 84: by Catherine (last edited Apr 20, 2015 04:09AM) (new) - added it

Catherine Ok...first let me say...I thought the review was geeat! what I don't agree with is Mr Neither trying to foist his personL likes of what a woman should have in the way of atttibutes.....Not all women are going to be "perfect" in his eyes...and not all men like "perfect" women....it's usuly the flaws that attract...in my opinion....otherwise no one would be in a relationship with anybody!! I am far from perfect..nor am I middle aged...and frankly my sex life is none of your business...but...you can't judge by looks alone...every woman is beautiful in her own way, even if they don't think they are. :)

message 85: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine P.S. and I love Winnie the Pooh! And Paddington Bear too!!!

Manny Thank you Catherine, and I couldn't agree more. Mr Neither is a disgusting, sexist excuse for a human being. I would go so far as to say that he is the most revolting person I've ever met on Goodreads, and, let me tell you, there's some stiff competition. Yet, oddly enough, I discovered on further investigation that he is a close associate of a woman I love and admire. Life's strange.

Manny BTW, if you are interested to know more about Mr Ed Bear's complicated private life, you may want to look here and here. Those were the days.

message 88: by Catherine (last edited Apr 20, 2015 10:27AM) (new) - added it

Catherine I'll check it out thanks

« previous 1 2 next »